Where can I purchase aluminum and metail staff for training?

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Where can I purchase aluminum and metail staff for training?

Postby RomanKagan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:32 pm

I was looking for Kung Fu Body Conditioning DVD 1 and DVD 2. Those DVDs show an excellent practice with aluminum 1''x48'' and 1''x72'' and metal 3/4''x48'' and 3/4''x72'' rods or staff. I wonder where can I purchase such items? I was not able to find them at the hardware stores.

Kindly,

Roman
RomanKagan
Forum Newbie

Re: Where can I purchase aluminum and metail staff for train

Postby pete5770 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:07 am

I don't practice with a staff but I would have thought that wood would be a most suitable material also. Easier to find, maybe.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Inga » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Roman,

I'm not sure where you are writing from, but I think finding an aluminum staff might be easiest online. I suppose you might try a large outlet home improvement store, but again, not sure where you are writing from.

@ Pete, wood is traditional, of course, in particular wax wood or a hardwood which slides in the hand nicely and takes impact over time. Training with metal, a heavier material, is a type of conditioning. So another example, doing leg raises wearing ankle weights, take off the weights, and whoa! feels so much easier, your legs move faster, your body is stronger. Same idea. Aluminum is useful because of the advantage of not chipping or denting like wood. I don't personally own a metal staff, but we have them at the school and we use them sometimes for wrist conditioning drills. Some more senior students can do a whole form with a heavier staff - impressive to watch :)

Cheers, Inga
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby pete5770 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 am

Inga wrote:Hi Roman,

I'm not sure where you are writing from, but I think finding an aluminum staff might be easiest online. I suppose you might try a large outlet home improvement store, but again, not sure where you are writing from.

@ Pete, wood is traditional, of course, in particular wax wood or a hardwood which slides in the hand nicely and takes impact over time. Training with metal, a heavier material, is a type of conditioning. So another example, doing leg raises wearing ankle weights, take off the weights, and whoa! feels so much easier, your legs move faster, your body is stronger. Same idea. Aluminum is useful because of the advantage of not chipping or denting like wood. I don't personally own a metal staff, but we have them at the school and we use them sometimes for wrist conditioning drills. Some more senior students can do a whole form with a heavier staff - impressive to watch :)

Cheers, Inga

Not sure how much more "weight" you're going to have with aluminum over wood. If he wanted weight then he should have gone for a solid steel bar. Aluminum would suggest that he favors a lighter staff.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 am

1"x48" steel would be far too heavy to do any sort of drills with - solid aluminum would be plenty heavy even. I use an ol half of a pole vault pole from high school, but that material is not designed to strike things with.
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Greg Jah » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:48 am

Hi Roman,

Menards has 1 inch x 10 foot galvanized pipe available for $16. You can check it out here:

http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/ro ... c-8568.htm

I imagine any Big Box hardware store would carry something similar.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Greg
Greg Jah
Forum Contributor

Return to General Training and Practice