The Mind Moves!

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Re: The Mind Moves!

Postby pete5770 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Monsoon wrote:Okay guys and gals, this is my first topic for the bright and shiny New Year!

The question is: What is your mind state during form practice?

What I would like to discuss is not what we think it should be, but rather what we actually experience during practice and how we approach changing it (if necessary).

Personally I find it easy to get lost in the form. It's not that I am unaware of my surroundings as such, and my attention on it seems alert (certainly I am instantly aware of any local changes in the environment). It's an odd sense of being aware but noticing that the immediate environment - for the most part - does not require my undivided attention, even though I am attempting to visualise incoming threats.

And so... your thoughts?
Monsoon

Maybe, as the old saying goes, you're overthinking it. Peoples minds wander from thing to thing and I don't see that as a bad thing. Does my mind constantly focus on Tai Chi while doing the long form? Oh h*ll no. Some days my concentration on the moves(opps sorry wptaiji, make that read THE ONE MOVE) is better than others. Some days all I tend to see are the trees and the people. Other days the rotation of the body occupies my mind. Whatever it is I tend to simply go with it. Works for me, at least as far as I'm concerned. Of course others may have other ideas.
Hmmmmmm, have I actually said anything of use here?
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Monsoon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:37 pm

No I don't think I am overthinking it, I just thought it was interesting as a discussion topic.

At a certain level of meditative practice the mind does NOT wander around at all. Thoughts arise and fall, and they are observed in stillness. That is quite different to having a mind whose focus wanders.

However, that is a very difficult state to achieve. :D

monsoon
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Postby wpgtaiji » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:46 pm

Dont acknowledge pete. Just ignore him. He knows nothing about much, and even less about taiji. He has no understanding of what qigong is, so attempting to converse on "mind" is a total exercise in frustration.

And NO pete, you have no internal in your taiji at all, so you do have to concentrate on your movement. When you finally give up your misunderstandings, then, maybe, you can start to work towards "no mind"... maybe...
wpgtaiji
Forum ÜberGuru

Previous

Return to General Training and Practice