Negative Thinking

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Re: Negative Thinking

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:26 am

pete5770 wrote: Other than a dis-belief in Qigong? Is it so hard to believe that someone doesn't believe in something that you put bunches of faith in? I'm pretty sure that, quite possibly, I have things that I put faith in that you might find just a bit sketchy(if you will). After all, reading a lot of your posts seems to leave the impression that there are plenty of things AND people in Tai Chi that you have no faith in. Am I not allowed the same latitude of beliefs? :?

pete it is hard to believe that a Tai Chi instructor doesn't believe in internal arts. Its an internal martial art it is Qigong.
If you were a Karate instructor people would not be so confused.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby pete5770 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:31 am

John the Monkey mind wrote:
pete5770 wrote: Other than a dis-belief in Qigong? Is it so hard to believe that someone doesn't believe in something that you put bunches of faith in? I'm pretty sure that, quite possibly, I have things that I put faith in that you might find just a bit sketchy(if you will). After all, reading a lot of your posts seems to leave the impression that there are plenty of things AND people in Tai Chi that you have no faith in. Am I not allowed the same latitude of beliefs? :?

pete it is hard to believe that a Tai Chi instructor doesn't believe in internal arts. Its an internal martial art it is Qigong.
If you were a Karate instructor people would not be so confused.

Whether or not and or why I do or don't believe in Qigong doesn't really have anything to do with
"Negative Thinking". It's sufficient to say that I look upon it in the same light as meditation, levitation, witchcraft, magic, voodoo, and the like. For the good of us all, how about we drop asking me about the subject. You won't get an answer that you like. :wink:
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:20 am

pete5770 wrote: I look upon it in the same light as meditation, levitation, witchcraft, magic, voodoo, and the like.

So meditation is not real or is the eqivilent of witchcraft? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation

Really this has a lot to do with negative thinking or at least a negative attitude.

Even Richard Dawkins is not so closed minded and he is more or less a bigot.

I know little about Buddhism; meditation as a kind of mental discipline to manipulate your mind in beneficial directions, I could easily imagine. In reciting a mantra in a repetitive way - it's entirely plausible to me that might have some sort of trance-inducing effects which could even be beneficial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... kins.shtml
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby pete5770 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:57 am

John the Monkey mind wrote:
pete5770 wrote: I look upon it in the same light as meditation, levitation, witchcraft, magic, voodoo, and the like.

So meditation is not real or is the eqivilent of witchcraft? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_on_meditation

Really this has a lot to do with negative thinking or at least a negative attitude.

Even Richard Dawkins is not so closed minded and he is more or less a bigot.

I know little about Buddhism; meditation as a kind of mental discipline to manipulate your mind in beneficial directions, I could easily imagine. In reciting a mantra in a repetitive way - it's entirely plausible to me that might have some sort of trance-inducing effects which could even be beneficial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... kins.shtml

Once again this is not the thread for this. Two questions though. Who is this Richard Dawkins and why is what he says about meditation any more or less relevant than what I say about it?
Personally, if you must know, I think that people who engage in all this so called Eastern thinking, without having grown up with it, are simply looking to be different and stand out from others. Showing off, if you will. You don't so much believe in it as WANT to believe in it. You most likely don't understand it but think that there are mystical things about it. I doubt you understand the difference between believing in something and wanting to believe in something.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Inga » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:36 am

This started out to my thinking as a very constructive thread. Meeting people over the internet is not so different to meeting people in person – if there is intent to deceive, it can be managed in either arena. Perhaps it’s easier online, one can put up a picture that is not them, but people can wear toupees, wigs, makeup – they can lie about where they are from, what they do. Some people live bigamist lives with both families unknowing. Some people build up what appears to be a ‘solid’ exterior but what dwells inside is completely the opposite.

I do not understand why things degenerated into calling meditation a form of witchcraft, and Pete telling John “I doubt you understand…” I think that’s quite rude. If someone does not find comfort or even validity in a practice or faith, well that’s our individual choice and right. But on this forum, we do not like ridicule. If someone wants to explain why they don’t support or believe something, based on their experience, and they want a discussion on it – to challenge someone to change their mind or to hope to ‘convert’ someone to their way of thinking, well, okay. One could even say a statement like “Meditation is a form of witchcraft” could be a discussion – it if could be presented without mocking undertones. Dvivid has just recently locked other threads where people were not engaging in the type of respectful interaction we require here. I have heard complaints from some that other forums allow ‘anything goes’ and we should ‘relax’ but we would rather keep our format and have those unhappy with it seek those forums. Trimax updated our site policy recently and as he points out “…do not make ad hominem attacks…be careful with exaggerations and don't assume that there's only one truth...”

It’s interesting to me that what started out as a “Negative Thinking” thread with Sanfung feeling supported by answers which were useful has turned into people expressing negative thoughts, about how people who meditate are fooling themselves with illusion and one member doubting another member’s ability to grasp concepts. I personally don’t see how if you’ve not been raised with something it can’t be learned at a later time in our lives. People learn new languages, music, other skills which were not passed on by parents or family. If we learn taiji as a young (or even old) adult in the West from an instructor rather than in China from Chinese parents from a tender age does it mean it’s not ‘real’? Somewhere the lineage has to start – if not with the parents, than with the child. If meditation is not something to be embraced, so be it, if it doesn’t hold interest for you, or it’s not something you’ve worked on to make progress with (and it does take practice, like learning language, or martial arts) you have that right of course and indeed can express your opinion that for you it’s not useful. But there are millions around the globe who do use it to great effect, and have done so for centuries.

Sanfung, I agree with many who posted already on this, that negative thoughts can’t be eliminated, it’s part of the human condition, autistic or otherwise, however what you do with those thoughts, that is where you can take control. Trying to merely ignore them is hard, I agree, and hoping they’ll just go away definitely does not work. I know people close to me with this issue, and they work on acknowledging them when they come, and then ‘letting them go’. One person I know reinforces this with a physical action – a long, slow exhale which for them symbolizing pushing away the thought. Another person I know works to balance it – so for each gloomy, bad or angry (or paranoid) thought that arrives, they make an effort to think of something uplifting or good that is going on, or that might happen. I think to make you feel better, you should seek to have control of your responses, to the best of your ability, rather than hope to stem the source. I don’t know what method will work for you, with experimentation I hope you will discover it. I’ve heard of writing them down on slips of paper and burning them. I thought the ‘sincere fakery’ was interesting, I’m sure that can be used by some people. I use a combination of breath and counter positive thought. Yin/Yang. Balance. For me, after awhile it becomes a habit, not so much something I need to remember to do. Taking the fight of it might make you feel better prepared to have the energy to deal what with comes. Most of all I would say to you Sanfung that I believe most people are at heart seeking acceptance in some way, shape or form. You are definitely not alone. Good luck with your training, and with your journey to conquer yourself – most people on this forum are pursuing similar goals. I think Joeblast said it well with “one thing to remember is happiness is a choice - we are in control of our own awareness, and "your focus determines your reality"”

And for now, I am closing this thread to avoid further descent into negativity. As we go into the New Year I would ask again that all members be respectful of diversity in all forms, including thought. May we practice patience and mindfulness. Perhaps a new thread might arise on meditation practice, or Sanfung I hope you will let us know your positive thought progress over time. I wish everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous 2013!
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Previous

Return to General Training and Practice