Black Belt Magazine

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Black Belt Magazine

Postby Sanfung » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:30 am

I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up yet, but the periodicals page on the Google Books website is now featuring a very extensive archive of Black Belt magazine.

http://books.google.com/books?id=bdkDAAAAMBAJ&lr=&rview=1&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1

Some people here might remember that in 2003, Black Belt magazine named Dr. Yang the Kung Fu Artist of the Year. The January 2012 issue ran an excellent article on Dr. Yang's ten-year training program in California. I actually believe the YMAA site has a landing page for Black Belt readers.

http://ymaa.com/publishing/welcome-black-belt-readers
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Re: Black Belt Magazine

Postby Josh Young » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:23 am

Thanks!
I've already made use of this thanks to you.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Sanfung » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:49 pm

I've developed a question from reading these great back issues. Maybe you could help me out. Mitoshi Uyehara is a name I've seen quite often, and I realize that he was a personality in Black Belt magazine for many years. He also apparently wrote a number of popular culture marital arts texts in the 1970s or so. I see people claim he was a 'relative,' but whenever that's mentioned, no one really says who or what he was a relative of. Is there an Uyehara bloodline that I'm unfamiliar with? Who was he?
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Postby Josh Young » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:17 am

http://bruce-lee-fitness-and-philosophy.blogspot.com/
After Bruce died his widow Linda contacted Mitoshi Uyehara, who was the founder and owner of "Black Belt Magazine" to help in compiling all of Bruce's info into a book. Bruce had contributed some articles to the magazine and he and Uyehara had become friends. Uyehara helped compile all the information Bruce had worked so it could be used for publication.

I can't spend much time looking right now, but he founded the magazine (1961) and owned it. That might give some potential leads... I don't know. I will try and check it out further later.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Sanfung » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:44 am

Actually, that link was pretty helpful. Thank you very much. I know you're pretty busy these days, so please don't ever feel obligated to do anything with the forum at the cost of anything in the real world.

I wanted to make sure he was indeed the founder and owner. A lot of things written in the magazine suggested that he was, but he certainly didn't seem like the sort to toot his own horn so it wasn't always obvious.

I suppose that's probably the mark of an excellent editor. After all, someone like that shouldn't feel the need to turn their work into self-promotion. It's really interesting to go back through all of these old magazines. I remember seeing in one part where someone wrote in asking what Hopkido was, and they told him that it was merely the Korean spelling of Aikido. It's fascinating to see the huge gap in information between then and today.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to General Training and Practice