Hsing-I punching headaches

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Hsing-I punching headaches

Postby Peakstar » Fri May 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Last year after switching from Bagua only training to incorporating Hsing-I into my program I began to experience painful brainaches from the impact of each punch/step. It seemed like a problem that I could not escape and some days I could not train Hsing-I and had to revert back to Bagua flowing to escape the painful punching experience. That was until the other day I finally figured out the remedy to the Hsing-I Headache. The solution came to me when thinking about physics.
The punch is a violent thrusting of the arm so I thought that maybe if I focused more attention on pulling the other arm back it would reduce the shock of the force. It did. In fact it works so well that headaches immediately cease. However if I forget to attend to the pulling arm the headache occurs, but each time I pull back as hard as I punch the forces equillibrate and there is no pain. I hope can help martial artists who experience the Xingyi headache.
Peakstar
Forum Newbie

Re: Hsing-I punching headaches

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri May 04, 2012 2:53 pm

I agree about balancing forces but this tends to happen through stepping, coiling and release.

One hand forward the other comes back. If it was just that Tiger form would be giving you head pain. Is it giving you a headache? Its interesting its having an effect on you. I think Bagua seems more obvious with coiling but with Xing Yi its on the inside.

I have not developed headaches with Xing Yi, still we did months of standing posture work before stepping so maybe we balanced things out then and there.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice