Should the fist be removed from the beginners’ syllabus?

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby TenTigers » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:53 pm

when forming your fist, do NOT squeeze the ring and pinky finger, but rather squeeze the index and middle finger tighter. This will ensure that your fist is aligned properly. The last two metacarpals "float", and are also half the thickness of the first two. By squeezing the ring and pinky fingers, you literally pull the metacarpals out of alignment, and pull the fist inward. The line of force will break the bones easily. Make sure the fist is squared, and also make sur ethat the elbow is downward, behind the fist. Do NOT turn the fist completely over, as it twists the ulnar and radius bones out of alignment as well. Turn instead only three-quarters. This will maintain proper bone structure, Keep proper elbow position,and also fit the fist to conform to the bottom of the ribcage/sternum, where the xiphoid process is located. The punch will then break the xiphoid, and rupture the internal organs. This is "Yat Choy, Beet say" One punch,assured Kill.
I will not compromise my integrity, or that of my art, for the sake of commercialization.
TenTigers
Forum User

fist

Postby dc » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:27 pm

i find it curious that after however many thousands of years of using a fist to fight, people are calling into question its usefulness. i have yet to see anyone pull a "napleon dynamite" effectively i.e. slap to the face and run away...except, of course, for the man himself. making a fist *should* keep your wrist straight, a much stronger position than the bent wrist of a palm strike, and, thus, also allows for more power generation. the mass of bones close to the surface of the skin provides a denser surface than the meat of a palm or side of the hand; the result is a greater conservation of momentum from your strike into your target.

there are 2 issues with fists, in my opinion. 1) fragility - conditioning should fix this issue 2) psychologically, it is much harder to punch someone in the face than to palmstrike them. this probably stems no only from a fear of hurting yourself, but your opponent as well...unless you are a psycho and actually enjoy hurting people.

the fist is THE basic weapon of barehand fighting and why did i just spend this time trying to explain something that really should be pretty self-explanatory.
dc
Forum Guru

Return to General Training and Practice