Pavel Tsatsouline's methods of stretching

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby Blarg » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:27 am

I haven't gotten his stretching stuff, but enjoy his kettlebell stuff and general strength writing. His assertion that strength is itself a skill that can be mastered like any other, not just the result of having mass and using sheer muscular exertion, is attractive to me and his tension techniques in that regard seem fruitful and correct. His work contains plenty of hype and always seems to cost a fortune, but actually has enough substance to reward repeated readings and bear up well under repeated scrutiny.

I've found "The Naked Warrior," a book that concentrates on two bodyweight exercises(a one-legged balance squat called the "pistol" and the one-armed push-up) and on strength generation principles, especially helpful, and "Power to the People" kind of works with it in tandem.

I have been hesitant to buy Pavel's stretching work because it is so high priced and the multiple DVD's are so short. I do feel they could be compressed together into one DVD and still sold at the same price.
Blarg
Forum Regular

Postby cche7 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:19 am

A friend of mine had two of his books, Bulletproof abs and and The Naked Warrior. I was interested in getting both of them, but they're so expensive for such a short book. The information in both books are good, but I wish they were cheaper though. :?
cche7
Forum User

Postby zipwolf » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:36 pm

zipwolf wrote:Triple flips from standing to splits, these guys could compete in the OLYMPICS!

wow.. i never intended that to rhyme.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby benwarner73 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi guys,

I realize this is an old thread but I just spotted it and wanted to chime in.

I really like Tsatsouline's approach to stretching and mobility. I've also been training his kettlebell system for a little over a year and I took his RKC instructor workshop a few weeks ago. My strength gains have been tremendous and my flexibility has improved as well. I find a lot of overlap between the russian principles and the chinese ones that I learn from Master Yang.

I use a lot of mobility (range of motion of the joints as opposed to musclular flexibility) drills in my warm ups. The mobility drills are a lot like what master Yang calls layman's chi kung. Simple stuff but really effective.

I have several of his books and dvd's and I reccomend them.
Ben Warner
benwarner73
Forum User

Return to General Training and Practice