Putting up the punchbag problems

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby Tandem Car Park » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:08 pm

Having both a wavemaster and standard hanging heavy bag, I have to say that if you can, go for the hanging bag. There is a big difference.
Tandem Car Park
Forum User

Postby DOM » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:03 am

I find the wave master bags to be a waste of money,a traditional heavy bag is much better,a leather one being the best choice over canvase but much more exspencive.I found the water bag from ring side to be the the best bag I have ever hit.This bag is great to have out side because it is not effected by the elements.The only thing is it freezes in the winter.It has lasted four years of winters and still in good shape very rugged bag.The best over all bag has to be the 6 foot tai bag allowing you to even practice sweeps and low kicks.With the water bag I am thinking of using a none corrosive antifreeze so I can hit it in the winter.By the way I would stay away from the water core bags with foam.You would be better off hitting a mattress or wave master.The only problem with havey bags is finding a place to hang them.iF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PLACE TO HANG ONE I would suggest mounting a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 to the floor or wall wraped with rop and foam or something else to absorbe some impact and hit this,before buying a wave master bag.It is much cheeper and much better for devolping tecknicks and conditioning your weapons.It is called a makiwara board for those who never heard of it.Or wrap a tree with some kind of padding.But the makiwara has more give.Not enough martial artist train with this tool anymore.Training with this tool will develope supperior tecknecks to those who do not.Not just by conditioning the weapons ,but also by building the confidance,focuse,and spirit needed to deliver a life saving blow. Way to many martial artists depend on gloves and wrapes these days.If the time ever comes when they need to use what they have learned,they will wish that they trained with the makiwara,or at least a very firm punching bag of some kind.Even if they are successfull in delivering a powerfull and effective blow they will most likely injure them selves.If you own one of these already I would suggest you attach something to it that is much more firm then the foam that is on it.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice