Not breathing properly during training.

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Not breathing properly during training.

Postby ZombieBeefchunk » Sun May 08, 2011 10:53 am

Hey guys,

My very first post. I hope this hasn't been asked about yet and if it has, I apologise in advance. Anyway, I've been in the YMAA Boston Shaolin classes for a month now and it's going great but I've noticed that I never learned how to properly breathe when exercising and it's holding me back. It always starts out fine in class but whenever I have to push it, I start falling apart. I used to hold my breath when I needed extra strength but I've broken that habit yet still end up feeling the same way :P Any tips on the proper way to breathe? Sounds simple but it's quite hard for me to find the right way to do it. Thanks :)
ZombieBeefchunk
Just Arrived

Postby yat_chum » Mon May 09, 2011 3:56 am

Hi, recognising that you have a problem is half way to solving it, I can not help you with your breathing as I'm not YMAA and different branches of White crane have different ideas about the breathing patterns used, for example breathing out with striking, breathing in when striking, both of these would be nigh on impossible for techniques like "A thousand birds leave the nest". Speak to your instructor about this, then practise, practise, practise.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Inga » Mon May 09, 2011 11:00 am

Hey Jo, we train a combination of White Crane and Long Fist. But yes, Mr. Chunk, I would check with Ben, Nicky or Simon. That's good you don't hold your breath anymore, that's defiantly a bad habit (still working on that one a bit myself sometimes : p ) It's possible that as you've been training for only a month, and the difficulty comes when you begin to "push it", that with time as you get more conditioned, you'll have greater stamina. Of course no one can argue with the advice to practice : D kung fu = time & effort. Welcome to YMAA and I hope you enjoy your training!
Inga
Admin

Postby yat_chum » Mon May 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Ayup Ingeur, ah 'adn't forgotten abaht t' Long Fist bur ah av neya experience o' it sa ah onny talked abaht Whi' Crane.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Return to General Training and Practice