Are there training methods to develop and control qi (chi)?

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Are there training methods to develop and control qi (chi)?

Postby Nigeki » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Hello everyone, I have recently made some research on qi (chi) and well it's rather puzzling to say the least but what I was wondering is how to train in order to develop it and learn to control it at home?

Any of you wanting to help please keep in mind that I have neighbors so I can't do anything noisy and I have no money to spare so purchassing equipment or paying for lessons is impossible for me.

I'd also like to know all the possible uses of qi, especialy the deffencive uses.

Thank you all for reading and a big thanks to those who help
Nigeki
Forum Newbie

Postby John the Monkey mind » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:37 pm

That is a very big subject. Do you know any Kung Fu or Taiji or even Karate? There are places to start but you would need a point of reference. Even a good instructional book so you understand some basics. Standing exercises will do what you want but over a very long period of time and you would still need to know how to use it. I can sort of increase my power through Qi practice (Xing Yi/Yi Quan/Taiji/I-liq Chuan) and have seen health benefits but it takes years and understanding. Teachers books, DVD's friends who also practice related arts and forums like all contribute.
Try this as a starting point. I ancient time they might train like this for years before learning a fighting art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3YsVj6Ia0w
stand still like this guy on the 2nd clip. Its easy and maby even more efective than the moving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSB84wv1 ... re=related
and hear is some guys who know how to use it in the 3rd clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLipqVligY&feature=fvw

Relaxation is key to power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82amIexv1V8
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Nigeki » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Thank you very much, I'll check it out. I do know that it takes time and that any shortcut is either wrong or dangerous and I don't want to take shortcuts. Also I don't want to learn how to fight what I would like is to be able to use my Qi to protect myself or others.

More specifically against ghosts and the likes (the use of ghost is only for simplicity. And I wish to ultimately learn ways to cleans spirits and that way help them pass on, I can't stand thinking of all the trapped souls in this world.)

I did do some Karate as a kid but sadly I had to move away which saddened me greatly. It was the shotokan type if I recall and I am only 1 black bar on white belt... Didn't find any affordable place after that.
Nigeki
Forum Newbie

Postby Nigeki » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:02 pm

well I certainly will try what you suggested but I was wondering how to sens my qi and how to know its developping
Nigeki
Forum Newbie

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:32 am

To sense your Qi. This is a simple set of instructions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll8v9AhIOoU&feature=fvw

This is really just the beginning. The aim is to extend the awareness throughout the body but once you know what to look for you can work on that. Its mostly in the head but your attention/intention leads the Qi so its a start.

The hole thing of spirits is very much on the esoteric side people don't like to talk about or teach. You are right though that it would start with an awareness of your own Qi in your own body. I think they gradually expand the awareness out. Try candle gazing meditation for focus, also you need to learn abdominal breathing or you will never get anywhere.

Hear is how breathing works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYSIWceGMxY&NR=1
This is abdominal breathing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YczX2h ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TUZiiMy ... re=related
Abdominal breathing builds your Qi level up so it should help you feel it. Still very basic but should help health a bit as a bonus.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:42 am

Try this. Its mostly in your head but intention and attention lead the Qi so its a start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll8v9AhIOoU&feature=fvw

Basically once you know what to do you need to grow your sensitivity throughout your own body till you end up with internal vision. You could then expand the sensitivity beyond your body.
Spirit exorcism is a very esoteric subject and people don't tend to teach it or talk about it but building your awareness would be how I would start.

You will need to know abdominal breathing to get anywhere though.

How breathing works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYSIWceG ... re=related
How to abdominal breath.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YczX2h ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TUZiiMy ... re=related

Its safe and good for you and builds the Qi. Do it in the standing posture for good effect. You should start to feel a heat.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:45 am

Sorry I didn't think it went through so did that last post twice.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Nigeki » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 am

No problem and thank you very much, I know most people are reticent to talk and teach about the esoteric but that keeps people with real interests and needs from learning what they want or need.

I did perform candle gazing before, but It was to calm myself more than anything else. didn't know it increased focus
Nigeki
Forum Newbie

Postby Josh Young » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 pm

breath and focus on the breath...
10 minutes a day, standing relaxed with legs bent slightly and arms gently curved
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Re:

Postby pete5770 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Josh Young wrote:breath and focus on the breath...
10 minutes a day, standing relaxed with legs bent slightly and arms gently curved

Are you kidding? 10 minutes a day??? Sorry, but to learn literally anything at all is going to take more than 10 minutes a day. 10 minutes a day and this person is going to understand and perform a concept that hardly anyone can even explain well, let alone demonstrate any reality to the idea?
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: Are there training methods to develop and control qi (ch

Postby Josh Young » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:46 pm

pete5770 wrote:Are you kidding? 10 minutes a day??? Sorry, but to learn literally anything at all is going to take more than 10 minutes a day. 10 minutes a day and this person is going to understand and perform a concept that hardly anyone can even explain well, let alone demonstrate any reality to the idea?

10 minutes a day is a lot when you focus.

In fact, to do 10 minutes is nearly impossible for a beginner.

3 minutes is a better start and then work up to 10. To just start off with 10 minutes can make one incredibly sore, especially athletes used to weight training and jogging. This is because those exercises rely upon fast twitch sugar activated muscles and those run out of energy well before 10 minutes. Most people cannot even hold their arms out to the sides, parallel to the ground, for 10 minutes, including people who can bench 3-4 times their own body weight.

At 10 minutes you will engage and recruit your slow twitch muscle activators and this can have profound effects on the body. It links your power to the breath, instead of glucose. The physical effect of only 10 minutes a day is also quite profound, after a couple of years of this the body undergoes changes. While fast twitch muscles are gained and lost quickly the slow twitch types take a long time to develop and are retained into old age.

There isn't anything wrong with working up to more time, even an hour a day. But 10 minutes is plenty for this exercise.

10 minutes a day is actually enough to even learn a language, simply by learning a single word a day. This way it only takes a couple of years to become fluent. Often people hear a song once or maybe twice a day, usually a short song and yet they are able to recall all of the lyrics at having heard it for less than ten minutes a day. So while you say that 10 minutes is not enough to learn anything, the truth is that you are wrong about that. A lot of people take one hour classes of one form or another once a week, if you average that out it amounts to less than 10 minutes a day. You are actually more likely to recall things taught in short periods more frequently, than longer periods less frequently.

I find your lack of faith and tendency to doubt somewhat puzzling.
It can't possibly enrich your life or understanding.
Argue away...
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby pete5770 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Josh Young wrote:
pete5770 wrote:Are you kidding? 10 minutes a day??? Sorry, but to learn literally anything at all is going to take more than 10 minutes a day. 10 minutes a day and this person is going to understand and perform a concept that hardly anyone can even explain well, let alone demonstrate any reality to the idea?

10 minutes a day is a lot when you focus.

In fact, to do 10 minutes is nearly impossible for a beginner.

3 minutes is a better start and then work up to 10. To just start off with 10 minutes can make one incredibly sore, especially athletes used to weight training and jogging. This is because those exercises rely upon fast twitch sugar activated muscles and those run out of energy well before 10 minutes. Most people cannot even hold their arms out to the sides, parallel to the ground, for 10 minutes, including people who can bench 3-4 times their own body weight.

At 10 minutes you will engage and recruit your slow twitch muscle activators and this can have profound effects on the body. It links your power to the breath, instead of glucose. The physical effect of only 10 minutes a day is also quite profound, after a couple of years of this the body undergoes changes. While fast twitch muscles are gained and lost quickly the slow twitch types take a long time to develop and are retained into old age.

There isn't anything wrong with working up to more time, even an hour a day. But 10 minutes is plenty for this exercise.

10 minutes a day is actually enough to even learn a language, simply by learning a single word a day. This way it only takes a couple of years to become fluent. Often people hear a song once or maybe twice a day, usually a short song and yet they are able to recall all of the lyrics at having heard it for less than ten minutes a day. So while you say that 10 minutes is not enough to learn anything, the truth is that you are wrong about that. A lot of people take one hour classes of one form or another once a week, if you average that out it amounts to less than 10 minutes a day. You are actually more likely to recall things taught in short periods more frequently, than longer periods less frequently.

I find your lack of faith and tendency to doubt somewhat puzzling.
It can't possibly enrich your life or understanding.
Argue away...

Let's see now. I have some spare time. At 10 minutes a day how long do you think it will take me to become a Medical Doctor? Learn a single word each day and in two years I'll be fluent? What College or University are you attending? Do you understand the meaning of the word fluent?So all that schooling I went through wasn't really required at all? All I had to do was open a book about Structural Engineering, read for 10 minutes a day, and bingo, a year or two down the road
and I've got my Masters? I had better tell my nephew about this as he is in Med School and from the sound of it The Ohio State University is simply wasting his time and money.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Josh Young » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:12 pm

pete5770 wrote: Let's see now. I have some spare time. At 10 minutes a day how long do you think it will take me to become a Medical Doctor?

What does that have to do with an exercise that conditions and trains?
It is kind of irrelevant.
Learn a single word each day and in two years I'll be fluent?

Maybe not you, but 2-3 years is enough to become fluent:
flu·ent
Adjective:
(of a person) Able to express oneself easily and articulately

In average use people rely upon a few hundred basic words, though they tend to know thousands. Once can express articulately with around a thousand words. One will not master the language, but becoming fluent is not mastery, it is just being able to use the language.
What College or University are you attending?

Well I attended a taijiquan class today (my teacher) at Utah Valley University. I have taken a lot of pre-med classes there, microbiology, biology etc and I also studied Botany, Philosophy, History there as well.

Do you understand the meaning of the word fluent?

Sure. Don't you?
So all that schooling I went through wasn't really required at all? All I had to do was open a book about Structural Engineering, read for 10 minutes a day, and bingo, a year or two down the road
and I've got my Masters?

No of course not. That is ridiculous, why would you even think that?
But on the other hand if you did a specific form of exercise every day for 10 minutes you could expect profound results.

I've noticed you are comparing basic expression in language to obtaining a complex degree, I don't know why you think that way. It doesn't makes sense to me. My point about language was also secondary, you say that one cannot learn anything via 10 minutes a day, and clearly that is totally false. I never said that one could master a language or obtain a degree by practicing 10 minutes a day, it is silly you would even consider that.

However that you would also compare physical exercise to obtaining a masters degree is very odd. Masters degrees are not obtained by holding postures! I assumed you knew that but I am skeptical of you now and don't really know.

Maybe you should put off telling your nephew that he can complete med school by studying 10 minutes a day? That is an absurd idea. I've been through several pre-med classes and you need more time per day to do well in them.

However you might tell your nephew that by holding specific postures for 10 minutes a day he can condition and strengthen his body in a profound way. Of course unless he has already done this there is no way he can do it easily so maybe he should start with less time and work his way up to 10 minutes. I did mention that most people who lift weights for hours and are very strong are not able to do 10 minutes in a row.

I used to be in a taiji club where we did standing posture exercises, again at a university, I'd hold them (I led the group in specific exercises at times, but did not teach) until about half the group couldn't hold them anymore, and these are healthy college kids for the most part, often quite athletic. We never got near 10 minutes but we nearly got to 6 minutes after a couple months.

You might do a search about learning languages 10 minutes a day...this is actually very common, though they study more than one word per day, they still only study 10 minutes a day with highly effective results. Several popular and well regarded exercise programs also use the same increment of time.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby pete5770 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:45 am

Josh Young wrote:
pete5770 wrote: Let's see now. I have some spare time. At 10 minutes a day how long do you think it will take me to become a Medical Doctor?

What does that have to do with an exercise that conditions and trains?
It is kind of irrelevant.
Learn a single word each day and in two years I'll be fluent?

Maybe not you, but 2-3 years is enough to become fluent:
flu·ent
Adjective:
(of a person) Able to express oneself easily and articulately

In average use people rely upon a few hundred basic words, though they tend to know thousands. Once can express articulately with around a thousand words. One will not master the language, but becoming fluent is not mastery, it is just being able to use the language.
What College or University are you attending?

Well I attended a taijiquan class today (my teacher) at Utah Valley University. I have taken a lot of pre-med classes there, microbiology, biology etc and I also studied Botany, Philosophy, History there as well.

Do you understand the meaning of the word fluent?

Sure. Don't you?
So all that schooling I went through wasn't really required at all? All I had to do was open a book about Structural Engineering, read for 10 minutes a day, and bingo, a year or two down the road
and I've got my Masters?

No of course not. That is ridiculous, why would you even think that?
But on the other hand if you did a specific form of exercise every day for 10 minutes you could expect profound results.

I've noticed you are comparing basic expression in language to obtaining a complex degree, I don't know why you think that way. It doesn't makes sense to me. My point about language was also secondary, you say that one cannot learn anything via 10 minutes a day, and clearly that is totally false. I never said that one could master a language or obtain a degree by practicing 10 minutes a day, it is silly you would even consider that.

However that you would also compare physical exercise to obtaining a masters degree is very odd. Masters degrees are not obtained by holding postures! I assumed you knew that but I am skeptical of you now and don't really know.

Maybe you should put off telling your nephew that he can complete med school by studying 10 minutes a day? That is an absurd idea. I've been through several pre-med classes and you need more time per day to do well in them.

However you might tell your nephew that by holding specific postures for 10 minutes a day he can condition and strengthen his body in a profound way. Of course unless he has already done this there is no way he can do it easily so maybe he should start with less time and work his way up to 10 minutes. I did mention that most people who lift weights for hours and are very strong are not able to do 10 minutes in a row.

I used to be in a taiji club where we did standing posture exercises, again at a university, I'd hold them (I led the group in specific exercises at times, but did not teach) until about half the group couldn't hold them anymore, and these are healthy college kids for the most part, often quite athletic. We never got near 10 minutes but we nearly got to 6 minutes after a couple months.

You might do a search about learning languages 10 minutes a day...this is actually very common, though they study more than one word per day, they still only study 10 minutes a day with highly effective results. Several popular and well regarded exercise programs also use the same increment of time.

You'll have to excuse my sarcasm. It's gets out of control at times. In any case I think it's time to drop the Qigong question. You believe and practice what you believe in and that's fine with me.
Sorta what life is all about. I believe in Tai Chi, cycling, and playing the violin although I have to confess that simply believing and practicing the fiddle does not mean you will ever really "wow"
anyone with your skills. Still, I practice on.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice