Breathing in Xingyi

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Breathing in Xingyi

Postby Taiji9870 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey guys. I've picked up xingyi recently but was having trouble with the short, quick exhales during the fajing. I tend to get headaches with this. Should I stop immediately, am I doing something wrong, or am I completely misunderstanding the concept? Sadly there are no teachers near me to ask. Thanks for your help.
Taiji9870
Forum User

Postby internalfist » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Hmmm I havent ran into this problem in my Xingyi, but on the short quick exhales do you exhale as much air as you usually do? The exhale has to be abit more forceful to still release the same amount of air you normally would, otherwise your just kinda hyperventalating yourself if you think about it. I would take Xingyi slow at first if you just recently took it up. And slow in the literal sense of movement I mean. Other then that im not sure what else could be the problem.
Hope this helps alittle.
internalfist
Forum Contributor

Re: Breathing in Xingyi

Postby Cotton Over Steel » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:41 pm

It is easier to get headaches in Hsing-i, due to its very Yang - hot nature.

Hsing-I tends to be scissored with the steps, and when this passes through the Lower Dan Tien; flow is important. Even more important to breath with lower abdomen; coordinating with the sinking/ contracting and the rising/expanding.

Dr. Yang writes about abdominal breathing and the Small Circulation Qigong extensively.

Lung or solar plexus breathing alone will cause top heaviness, excessive heat, shallow breath, headaches and breathlessness.

When one primarily uses their upper body muscles, a top heavy breathing and stance is the tendency.

Standing as well as moving San Ti drills will help one build the proper habits.

More on Hsing-i internals in my new book:
Axe Hand; Hsing-i & Internal Strength Workout.
Cotton Over Steel
Forum Contributor

Re: Breathing in Xingyi

Postby Peakstar » Fri May 04, 2012 1:52 pm

Hsing I can cause headaches. I have suffered with this issue for many hours of practice. Each punch caused immediate pain in my head, but I finally found the answer. One online post said "you've just gotta totally relax" but that didn't seem to work. The solution to this problem is physics based. If you punch hard with one limb, the opposing limb must pull back hard in order to equillibrate the force. Try this and let me know how it works. For me, it caused the immediate cessation of brain pain.
Peakstar
Forum Newbie

Return to General Training and Practice