Physical exercise vs Qigong

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Physical exercise vs Qigong

Postby Denas » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Dear forum members,

I have very huge motivation to perform qi gong not only because it can make my body healthy and mind clear, but give tremendous strength and stamina.
Only with practicing stance training, qigong (yi jin jing, 8 brocade, lohan hands, taiji etc.) one can get such performance as from lifting weights or running. So I wonder if such physical exercises are necessary.
I heard that running is harmful to healh from chinese medical perspective-over time organs can be collapsed.
Strength training as weight lifting etc. can restrict energy flow and make muscles less controlableand slow.
From my personal experience I can say that strength from chi kung is much more powerful than from weight lifting. Power from qigong is more explosive and alive while weight lifting is exhausable (I was weightlifter 3 years).
However I don't understand how such things are possible. How without using weights one can get such strength, speed, and stamina only practicing qigong.
And I don't know how western exercises like jogging, lifting weights, punching sand bags affect the results on qigong training.
Denas
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 am

a lot of it is simply being more in tune with your body and its mechanics.

as to running, weight lifting, absolutely nothing wrong with those trainings. like any training though, it can be overdone. there's an appropriate amount of a given training for every person. (sometimes that appropriate amount might be none, depending on what exactly.)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:57 am

How without using weights one can get such strength, speed, and stamina only practicing qigong?

Strength, speed and stamina all involve one thing: energy.

Qigong increases your energy levels. You focus more energy into any activity and it will be heightened.

this thread should really be in the Qigong forum.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby John the Monkey mind » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 am

In the white crane book Dr Yang states that people used often to do hard Chi Gong wile holding weighs to build up strength and stamina for weapon use in extended battles. So you could do that. I find holding weighs wile moving through stances or sat in horse stance punching helpful although I haven't done it for a wile. Good for core stability and shoulder/wrist/chest strength. :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby ambok22 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 am

this is really one of the best. . .

workout
ambok22
Just Arrived

Postby yeniseri » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:16 am

They are different levels of the same technology!

CMA was practiced by those (the 'low' levels of society) who worked the countryside(s) (Chen shi taijiquan), carpenders, eyeglass makers, bakers, etc. If we look at the pre-industrial era, peolpe walked, biked, took the train so there was sufficient level of physical activity complemented by occupation.

Physical activity is a great complement to qigong and both can enhance the other!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: Physical exercise vs Qigong

Postby pete5770 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 am

Denas wrote:From my personal experience I can say that strength from chi kung is much more powerful than from weight lifting. Power from qigong is more explosive and alive while weight lifting is exhausable (I was weightlifter 3 years).

I lift weights and have for some time. However, I can assure people that there is no way someone is going to develop the power and strength required to lift and or move heavy objects by simply doing Tai Chi, Qigong, or meditation. There is a saying in bodybuilding / weightlifting that goes something like this "Nothing else will do it - get your butt under the bar".
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice