A numb leg when doing sitting meditation!?!

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

A numb leg when doing sitting meditation!?!

Postby SnakeFist » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:51 pm

Here's one for an expert..

I have started doing seated fixation meditation, I am stretching regularly so I can get into the half Lotus. At the moment I sit on a Zafu/Zabuton set with my left leg in next to the cushion and my right leg tucked on the outside of my left leg, the problem is that after about 15 mins sat like this I start to get a numb feeling down my right leg and it ends where my foot is completely numb and starting to get pins and needles due to the cut off of the bloody circulation.

I don't get this problem with my left leg only my right, the feeling starts at the top of my thigh just where my arse meets the back of my right thigh. The length of time I have been practising has not helped the problem so I am thinking it's down to anatomy somehow, any ideas anyone??

It's taking me about an hour to do 30 mins of meditation due to having to stand up and walk about until I have enough feeling back to sit and start again.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Snake Fist (...or more Numb Arse)
SnakeFist
Forum Newbie

Postby joeblast » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Do you change leg positions? What stretches are you doing? Ever been to a chiro or had the area xrayed ? Any lumbar back issues? Other significant injuries? Hips flexible?

Depending on where there is pain referral, there is a corresponding nerve plexus.

If you always sit on one side, though...that can contribute to imbalance. Does your right folder under easily into cross legged? Actually for me having it just outside the left is more bothersome than tucked under or in the lotus position. Does it happen in lotus?
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to General Training and Practice