Wing Chun. Is it too limited?

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Wing Chun. Is it too limited?

Postby Balloo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:19 pm

Hello all, I am a student of Wing Chun Gung Fu, and when I practice the principles of my art I see that the principles are very profound, and may take years to master, but then I look at other Chinese martial arts, and I see they seem to have so many more concepts, and philosophies to them. I was looking at Xingyiquan in Sifu Liang's book, and it seems to go so much deeper. I understand any martial art is a lifetime endeavor, but many of my fellow students have trained for years and they say they get bored with the training and feel like there isn't much more to learn. I know there is, but as I said other arts seem to go so much deeper. I looked at Xingyi because I like the direct efficient moves, and I know xingyi has that emphasis. I can study other styles, but I guess my real fear is, what if I get bored with WC in a few years? Is it too limited as a style?
Balloo
Forum Regular

Postby Josh Young » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:16 am

It is a nice style.
Wing Chun I mean.
In my experience it is rich with what they call principals, they have 108 of them at least that inform specific things about the art an application.
It seems like a dedicated student could learn the art in 6-8 years and then master it in another 10 or so. My WC teacher had 27 years teaching experience as a sifu when I met him, before I met him I met 5 other WC sifus. I asked each one specific questions and essentially interviewed them, the last one I met with was the right one.

All of the other teachers met high standards to be authorized as sifus, but only one of them met my standards for passion of the art and humility as well as sheer knowledge. I remain impressed with the art to this day, though I am interested in taijiquan far more than wing chun.

In my experience then wing chun is a rich art. Some groups are more serious than others, some groups are more concerned with the social aspects and the Chinese mafia like family structure of uncles and brothers and sisters and such than they are with skill and progress. I'd avoid the social club wing chun, but the serious and humble WC is potentially enlightening.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Balloo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:51 am

Thank you again.
Balloo
Forum Regular

Re: Wing Chun. Is it too limited?

Postby challenger1mk3 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Your advance in your martial art, no matter how is it, depend on the grade (or level) of knowledge you have of it.

The limit depends on you!
challenger1mk3
Forum Newbie

Return to General Training and Practice