Candle Punching

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Candle Punching

Postby MethodMike » Fri May 09, 2008 12:56 pm

Does anybody train in candle punching out there? How often? Stationary? Moving? What distance are you working from? Are you using hard, soft-hard, and soft Jin's when training? Just curious...
[/img]
MINDBODY FITNESS

One Body...One Mind...Infinite Possibilties
MethodMike
Forum Regular

Postby yat_chum » Fri May 09, 2008 2:32 pm

yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby MethodMike » Fri May 09, 2008 2:42 pm

I checked it out...great info :D
MINDBODY FITNESS

MethodMike
Forum Regular

candle punching

Postby garymthetford » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:59 am

we use weights (6lb and up) to train the technique, called running thunder. A continuious rolling punch done for 20 mins, the heavy weights causes/ trains the snap, good for putting out candles, dusting curtains and hitting. Another techinque is to hit a piece of paper then move it closer to the wall over time, until you can punch the wall full power just touching it.
garymthetford
Forum Contributor

Postby MethodMike » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi garymthetford,

Could you explain the training method you use with the paper a little more so I can get a better idea of how to do it.
MINDBODY FITNESS

MethodMike
Forum Regular

Postby garymthetford » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:16 pm

piece of paper a4/ foolscap pin it to the ceiling. Now a running punch using waist and shoulders, if I discribe it as a cross between the swimming strokes: crawl and doggy paddle, now the fingers should flick/ fa jing/ emit qi pick a discription so the paper makes a noise. As you get better over time move the paper closer to a wall until the paper is on the wall. So you should be able to flick/ fa jing/ emit qi at full power and under full control with out breaking your fingers on the wall! :)
Last edited by garymthetford on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
garymthetford
Forum Contributor

Postby MethodMike » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Thank you for sharing :D
MINDBODY FITNESS

MethodMike
Forum Regular

Postby Dvivid » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:40 am

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby MethodMike » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:16 pm

Ahhh... 8) How could I have missed that article? Thanks Dvivid!!!
MINDBODY FITNESS

MethodMike
Forum Regular

Postby Josh Young » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:25 pm

How far must you be from the candle before snuffing it with by pushing air is a sign of significant skill?

Ever fill a room with smoke and practice striking in ways that let you see the motion in the air currents? I like this.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Re: Candle Punching

Postby aromaworks » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:25 am

Its not necessarily a difficult exercise and is more or less an indicator of kime, but I wouldn't build a training regiment on blowing out candles to hone my kime. Plus I'm sure there are ways to cheat as well, I don't know. Of course we can't see his face to see if he might be blowing the candles out either.

Last edited by aromaworks on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aromaworks
Forum Newbie

Postby Josh Young » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:22 am

if you hang some thin plastic strips, like garbage back or plastic tablecloth with little cardboard weights stapled to their ends, from the ceiling, you can play with flinging air at them and getting a fun visible response. no fire or smoke but the same basic game
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby aromaworks » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Would trying to punch out a candle's develop a good snap beneficial to boxing? I used to do it when I was a kid, only cause I was good at it, and it was fun. It is of course no substitute for proper bag-work and personal training, I was just wondering.

Postby aromaworks » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:11 am

I used to do it with punches and some times i would put the candle on the floor and try it with my low heel kick .I don't know if its a trick or not its just a bit of fun , besides someone famous once said " Candles don't fight back ".

Postby Dvivid » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:13 am

Enough already with the luxury candles spam please. Thanks for your contributions otherwise.
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby aromaworks » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 pm

I've actually tried "candle punching" and it didn't turn out the way i thought it would. I had to put more power in my punch while relaxing my arm and that was tough.But overall, it is a good punching exercise. I don't have places in my house to do such thing any more, and plus i don't want to cause any fire around the house if i do accidentally knock the candle down.

Return to General Training and Practice