hand wraps, bag glove or bare hands?

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

hand wraps, bag glove or bare hands?

Postby jasonrt1985 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:22 am

Hi, my name is Jason and I recently purchased Shoalin kung fu fundamentals. I noticed during the bag demonstration for the hand drills, the student hitting the bags was not wearing any hand protection. I have a 60 pound bag. Should I continue using bag glove, or start lightly and work bare handed? Thanks for the suggestions.
jasonrt1985
Forum Newbie

Postby Inga » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:21 pm

Hullo Jason, I have hesitated to answer this as I am not sure I really have an answer for you, and I hoped someone would. I can share with you my training philosophy, which may or may not suit you. My heavy bag has settled with time, and the bottom is rock solid. I start my bag sessions wearing tapes. I start working on the top of the bag where it is softer, then work my way to the bottom. I don't hit as hard as I can, but pretty hard. I combine this with ma bu training. Partly as it gets me down to the bottom of the bag, and it helps take the mind off extended ma bu stance :) My purpose for hitting the bag wearing only tapes is to condition my hands. And since starting this I have bruised less during pad work in class. I must confess to hitting the bag without tapes..sometimes it's a trip to the basement for unscheduled bag time, but, in my case it usually opens up my skin. I think if you have a canvas bag you are definately going to do this. I have seen this happen to people in my class. After an initial time with just tapes I then put on the gloves to finish the sesh. The only way I can get the bag to pop is to wear gloves. And it protects my hands when I really go for it. One thing I do know is that if you do wear tapes, there is a method for wrapping. A boxer friend showed me how, but I know there are online guides. Good luck with the training!
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby jasonrt1985 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:18 am

Thanks for sharing your philosophy. I've been using just wraps lately going pretty light and really working on perfect form. A friend of mine is a boxer and has also studied some kung fu, recommended Dit da jow. Does anyone have any experience with these? He says it really helps with light conditioning of the hands. Thanks
jasonrt1985
Forum Newbie

Postby Inga » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:54 am

It is good for bruises but do not use it on open wounds.
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby citrus538 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:43 am

Also, if you feel the soreness and bruising deeper than your skin (like in your bones) then it may be a good idea to stop. Don't risk damaging your hands in the long term just to toughen them up a little faster.
citrus538
Forum Addict

Postby William » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:12 pm

I myself do alot of Bag Conditioning(WHen I am alone usually)years ago Started out with a 80 pound heavy bag, Did LOTS of Fist push ups, Now for past couple years I work with my cheesy device(4/ 80lb sand bags as base and 20/ 80lb sand bags in stacks of 2 bringing it slightly taller than myself, wrapped in chicken wire to secure, then wrapped in more than 12 rolls of Gorilla tape(GOOD STUFF) to keep me from cutting my hands on chicken wire and to water proof it since its out side)

No reccomendations here, just ideas. Knuckles aren't invincible will say that.
Be careful with them, if you want to be able to feed yerself in yer old age.

Peace, Love, and Namaste

Also ointments can work well, soft tissue massage. BE CAREFUL With ointments when I was young and stupid I got a recipe for an Oinment from a very mis-educated TCM practitioner which had Zhu Sha(Mercury), Let me just say Not cool.

Anyways Be safe
William
Forum User

Return to General Training and Practice