Basic Conditioning Routine

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Basic Conditioning Routine

Postby Jet Li » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:02 pm

Hello. I am someone who would like to study kung fu someday and has serious plans to. However at this time I don't have access to a school. I would however like to take this time to build up some basic strength. I am pretty wimpy and I do not think I could do well physically in a kung fu class if there was one available to me. Can anyone suggest some basic conditioning (no secret techniques or forms or anything, just strength building... I know people tend to get touchy about this kind of question on martial arts boards) just to get in shape? Like I said, I'm NOT asking for techniques, just some sort of exercise routine to get stronger.

Thank you.
Jet Li
Forum User

Postby darth_freak » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:00 am

how old are you?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Jet Li » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:07 pm

18. Are you going to be hating?
Jet Li
Forum User

Postby Inga » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:07 am

Darth was trying to get more information before making suggestions. I can also recommend using the Search function to check the archive. There is a lot of discussion on training, technique, injury, progress, etc. You can follow a martial art without a school, you can get access to books and videos. However if you want to become dedicated and improve, and indeed become adept you will need an experienced and skilled instructor.
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby Jet Li » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:53 am

I've seen Dr. Yang's books in stores but I have noticed in many of them there are notices of "for refrence only". Others he says a person COULD use them to teach themselves an art but I worry about injurying myself. Can you name some titles that are intended to act as instruction manuals?
Jet Li
Forum User

Postby trimax » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:19 am

Hey Jet Li!

If you are not interested in the Martial Art side but would like to have some preparation to it, you may check out the book "Power Body" by Tom Seabourne. It is published by YMAA Publication Center.

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/books/external/power_body

Dr. Yang also has an interesting book with general concepts of Qigong and training. Check it at:

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/books/qigong/qigong_for_health_and_ma

You may also just try to go to a gym if there is one available in your area.

"If there is a will, there is a way..."
trimax
Admin

Postby Inga » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:15 am

Jet Li, are you in the USA? I'm getting confused, are you talking about internal or external arts? You mention on another thread that you are thinking about "getting back" into kung fu. What style did you used to study? Are you interested in qigong as well? Tony is right, you can't go wrong by joining a gym or just generally getting fit. That is a great start. Can you be more specific about how you are worried you might injure yourself? Do you have old injuries that may reoccur? When training one needs to push the body to progress and get strong, but if you feel pain then clearly you need to stop. Or are you referring to the use of chi?
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby Jet Li » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Inga wrote:Jet Li, are you in the USA? I'm getting confused, are you talking about internal or external arts? You mention on another thread that you are thinking about "getting back" into kung fu. What style did you used to study? Are you interested in qigong as well? Tony is right, you can't go wrong by joining a gym or just generally getting fit. That is a great start. Can you be more specific about how you are worried you might injure yourself? Do you have old injuries that may reoccur? When training one needs to push the body to progress and get strong, but if you feel pain then clearly you need to stop. Or are you referring to the use of chi?

It wasn't kung fu- Soo Bahk Do (similar to Tang Soo Do)

I am very interested in qigong but I have to admit that I'm very worried about the efficiency of studying it alone as I have heard it is usually a transmitted skill.

I'm worried a lot about my knees; they are bent and I have never been able to straighten them for long periods of time.

I'm worried about both injury in physical training and qigong. I am not very strong. I have read that some masters (for example Gopi Krishna and Glenn Morris) injured themselves with their energy and went through severe pain while studying qigong or yoga alone.
Jet Li
Forum User

Postby Jet Li » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:15 pm

trimax wrote:Hey Jet Li!

If you are not interested in the Martial Art side but would like to have some preparation to it, you may check out the book "Power Body" by Tom Seabourne. It is published by YMAA Publication Center.

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/books/external/power_body

Dr. Yang also has an interesting book with general concepts of Qigong and training. Check it at:

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/books/qigong/qigong_for_health_and_ma

You may also just try to go to a gym if there is one available in your area.

"If there is a will, there is a way..."

I have the qigong book. There are a lot of sets in there though and I have never been able to pick one. Its just collecting dust on my shelf right now. Anyone that you would recommend?
Jet Li
Forum User

Postby Inga » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:55 am

[quote="Jet Li"] I'm worried about both injury in physical training and qigong. I am not very strong. [quote]

So I see there are two issues here. Physically, I would recommend first of all seeing your physician. Tell him/her that you are looking to improve physical strength, mentioning your past/present issues. They can recommend what you can work on and what you should avoid doing. If you are able to afford it, a consultation at a gym with a personal trainer can give you a routine to practice which is suited to your indidviual needs. In addition, checking out the text Trimax metioned would be a good idea. You may want to look into persuing Tai Chi instead of Kung Fu.

With regard to Qigong, one may study Wai Dan (External Elixir) or Nei Dan (Internal Elixir). Nei Dan comprises of higher levels of qigong theory and is not for the beginner. My understanding is that practicing Wai Dan Qigong is safe. I currently practice the Eight Pieces of Brocade, which may be done sitting or standing, so that may suit your knees. Educating yourself is essential. The more you can read, absorb and understand, the better. As you point out, a vital component of understading is finding an instructor who can assist you. That is why I asked where you are located, it is possible that someone from the community here may be able to point you in the direction of a teacher. I have not heard of anyone who was in great pain from practicing yoga incorrectly, however, it must be possible to overdo anything. I think you will be fine if you continue to ask questions on route. You sound extremely cautious, so it would seem your progress will be measured and steady, and you should be able to avoid injuring yourself if you take the time to understand what you are doing.

Good luck with your training and your journey.
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby mike waits » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:29 pm

Get Dr. Yangs DVD's on Shaolin Basics its got everything from stretching to kicking and much, much more very good start. By the way its alright to practice qi gong if you are a beginner it is not very likely that you will injure yourself. you have to coltivate chi before you can move it around in your body.
mike waits
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 pm

Jet,
I have that same qigong book. I'd say just start trying some of them out, there's no need to single one set out over another. You should be able to get a feel for what works well for you.
I'm curious about your knees, why can you not straighten them?
As long as you take things slowly and keep a 70% rule in effect, you should do fine.
have a good one,
Dan
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to General Training and Practice