speed & reaction drills

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

speed & reaction drills

Postby Inga » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:11 am

My instructor recently gave me the following sheet (I have transcribed verbatim except where the photocopy is blurry):

First Level : (hand: up)

1. Speed:

A. Body Twisting (70 times/30 seconds)
B. Angling. Switch legs with angle (25 times/30 seconds)
C. Bouncing Speed. Bounce up and down on toes
(350 times/90 seconds)
D. Hop forward and backward from long range to short range
(45 times/30 seconds)
E. Finger Speed. Fingers touch the palms and open
(180 times/30 seconds)
F. Arm speed. Extend the arm and pull back
(60 times/10 seconds)

2. Reaction:

A. One side attack, stationary, upper body only
(70% of [clear?] block, 40 attacks/30 seconds)
B. Fighting Forms (stationary, fixed forms)
#1 55 times/30 seconds
#2 35 times/30 seconds
#3 35 times/30 seconds
#4 25 times/30 seconds
#5 35 times/30 seconds

3. Targeting:

A. Single spot, hop forward and backward against a kicking bag
B. Candle watching (5 minutes a day)

4. Endurance:

20 minutes, 3 person group sequence training

5. Body conditioning: Optional (Arms and legs)

I have been working this summer to improve my speed, and have made some little progress. Unfortunately I injuried my knee sparring and have not been able to really work on the lower body drills. My finger speed is up to 100L/130R which can obviously still go up but is much better. Arm speed is 40 both sides. Again, room for improvment. I hope this autumn/winter I can find a partner to work on the two person stuff, although we have been body conditioning again in our Friday sparring classes, having had a long time off concentrating on chokes, grappling and ground fighting (tho plenty of impact involved with that). I have made quite a few mung bean conditioning pads, and one with gravel and one with steel shot (for more advanced students). I think I may be ready for the gravel soon, I have been training my hands against the bottom of the heavy bag (where it is settled and hardest) and with knuckle push ups for about 10 months now. I'm not sure I'll use the gravel bag all over like the mung beans pad. Still a programme in progress. I would love to hear how others get on with their speed/reaction/endurance training.
Inga
Admin

Postby zipwolf » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:19 am

How others get on with speed/reaction/endurance training eh?

Speed:
Although at the moment due to me trying to gain weight i have been doing less of these, along with YMAA drills (which are of course useful, especially in getting and maintaining good form) Plyometrics i find are some of the most useful drills for Speed and Power (which in essence, are one and the same anyway.)

The main problem with any speed drill is the risk of injury, particularly if you start doing kicks or punches with any form of weight. Plyos are relatively safe (do have a partner with you if you can) and generally only require bodyweight. If they require any other form of weight, you only need an incredibly light thing for the exercise to be effective AND safe. Plyos don't require you to do anything SUPER fast either, smooth and careful is what you do, and you'll get to your destination faster.

A few basic plyos that everyone knows are of course: Jump squats and Clapping pushups. Combine these with Regular YMAA drills to keep good form and help increasing your speed and you'll kick everyone's arse into the GROUND! GROUUUUND!

Reaction:

Get yourself a partner and drill like a mo fo! Just mess around with friends, train heavily in class at it, and just play with it. Reaction drills are easy as hell to do anytime, anyplace, with anyone. My reactions aren't GREAT, but they have improved since the day i started due to just doing them so often.

Treat these as a game, (Hell, treat all of your training as a game, and kf, and fighting in general as long as its in a consenting and friendly environment, but i suppose don't treat it as that if someone attacks you with a knife :P) and play them with everything.

Also, play table tennis and regular tennis with a really really fast opponent. I am NOT kidding, especially with table stuff.

Endurance:

I suck at endurance for the most part, i keep forgetting to train it. I'll meet my initial goal (190lbs people!! WOOOO!) then from that point on i'll really be mixing up my training a lot more.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Inga » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:27 am

thanks 'wolf. there is a bloke in class who has just started to rave about plyometrics and is starting some training this autumn so i will check in with him about that. i will continue to follow the ymaa programme as well tho. especially as i know there is still room for improvement. good luck with the weight gain. i work on that one myself, i want to get up to 130.

for us stateside, table tennis = ping pong. but i'm sure you chaps knew that already. :)
Inga
Admin

Postby zipwolf » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:04 am

Inga, healthy weight gain is easy, but very loooong. 500 extra non-empty calories every single day of the week is the most general equation of a pound of muscle a week (give or take depending on sex and metabolism!)

And yeah, i knew about the ping pong.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Inga » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:59 am

ah, i knew YOU knew about ping pong mate, being an honorary yank an all. that was for the benefit of anyone else reading our convo who may not know. the weight gain thing is a constant struggle. keeping it just on i mean, let alone putting it on. i dunno if i have a high metabolism, but i do seem to have ridiculous amounts of raw energy. however, if we are going to talk about sex i better private message you... hey, maybe if i had titled this thread "SEXreactionSEXtraining/speedSEXdrillsSEX" i would have got more responses?? haha. better stop here before the Monkey kicks me in the head. seriously, tho, thanx for the positive feedback, i appreciate it. always nice to know others have the same issues as you - and you train more than me, so that has been an incentive too. cheers :)
Inga
Admin

Postby zipwolf » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:26 am

[quote="Inga"]ah, i knew YOU knew about ping pong mate, being an honorary yank an all. that was for the benefit of anyone else reading our convo who may not know. the weight gain thing is a constant struggle. keeping it just on i mean, let alone putting it on. i dunno if i have a high metabolism, but i do seem to have ridiculous amounts of raw energy. however, if we are going to talk about sex i better private message you... hey, maybe if i had titled this thread "SEXreactionSEXtraining/speedSEXdrillsSEX" i would have got more responses?? haha. better stop here before the Monkey kicks me in the head. seriously, tho, thanx for the positive feedback, i appreciate it. always nice to know others have the same issues as you - and you train more than me, so that has been an incentive too. cheers :)[/quote]

Pkcha! You knew and know VERY WELL that i meant sex as in gender doofus :P.

Putting and keeping on weight requires an increase in calories that you then keep. Its a fairly simple equation that requires just as much effort as cutting the calories for weight loss (too much and you become a fattie :P). The more cardio style work you do, the more you have to add as well, because then you burn a lot off, and you aren't trying to just burn everything and make you a thin bastard!
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Inga » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:14 pm

i couldn't resist.. :) a "thin bastard' huh? i guess that is marginally better than being called "scrawny". i know, i know, you were not talking about me, as such, just in general. this is not something i can conquer on my own, i need some help. i have some ideas, i'll let you know how i get on. in the meantime rock on Therian.
Inga
Admin

Postby WCkungfu » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:17 pm

A good drill ive found to practice techniques is to get a really loud clock, assume your stance, and every time the second hand "ticks" you do that technique. Remember, the faster you do it, the more of a break you get before the next tick! Visulisation with this exercise helps to.
WCkungfu
Forum Newbie

Return to General Training and Practice