speed & reaction drills

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

speed & reaction drills

Postby Inga » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:04 am

My instructor recently gave me the following sheet (I have transcribed verbatim except where the photocopy is blurry):

First Level : (hand: up)

1. Speed:

A. Body Twisting (70 times/30 seconds)
B. Angling. Switch legs with angle (25 times/30 seconds)
C. Bouncing Speed. Bounce up and down on toes
(350 times/90 seconds)
D. Hop forward and backward from long range to short range
(45 times/30 seconds)
E. Finger Speed. Fingers touch the palms and open
(180 times/30 seconds)
F. Arm speed. Extend the arm and pull back
(60 times/10 seconds)

2. Reaction:

A. One side attack, stationary, upper body only
(70% of [clear?] block, 40 attacks/30 seconds)
B. Fighting Forms (stationary, fixed forms)
#1 55 times/30 seconds
#2 35 times/30 seconds
#3 35 times/30 seconds
#4 25 times/30 seconds
#5 35 times/30 seconds

3. Targeting:

A. Single spot, hop forward and backward against a kicking bag
B. Candle watching (5 minutes a day)

4. Endurance:

20 minutes, 3 person group sequence training

5. Body conditioning: Optional (Arms and legs)

I have been working this summer to improve my speed, and have made some little progress. Unfortunately I injuried my knee sparring and have not been able to really work on the lower body drills. My finger speed is up to 100L/130R which can obviously still go up but is much better. Arm speed is 40 both sides. Again, room for improvment. I hope this autumn/winter I can find a partner to work on the two person stuff, although we have been body conditioning again in our Friday sparring classes, having had a long time off concentrating on chokes, grappling and ground fighting (tho plenty of impact involved with that). I have made quite a few mung bean conditioning pads, and one with gravel and one with steel shot (for more advanced students). I think I may be ready for the gravel soon, I have been training my hands against the bottom of the heavy bag (where it is settled and hardest) and with knuckle push ups for about 10 months now. I'm not sure I'll use the gravel bag all over like the mung beans pad. Still a programme in progress. I would love to hear how others get on with their speed/reaction/endurance training.
Inga
Admin

Return to General Training and Practice