Cage fighting

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Cage fighting

Postby Edrei McCabe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:51 am

I am thinking of training at a cage fighters gym in bakersfield california. The gym has an impressive reputation for putting out top notch fighters, I am less interested in the competetive aspect though. I see it as a way to condition my self as well as understand modern principles of grapling and striking. I have only trained ymaa gong fu through books but I enjoy the moralities as well as the training. I guess my question is that since I have never actually seen a traditional gong fu practitioner in a cage fight, I wonder if any of you teachers would be opposed to a student of yours participating in this modern style of fighting? I have thought about it for awhile and I don't personally feel any inhibitions about doing this. Thoughts comments. Thanks
With respect,e-w
Edrei McCabe
Forum User

Postby scramasax57 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:43 am

I would have respect for anyone who chose to test and train themselves that thoroughly, as long as they did it for the right reasons. Your motivation seems very good. Be careful not to get too proud, but you sound like you should be able to stay humble and this will certainly take your fighting abilities to the next level. An actual teacher and actual experience is always better than books.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Edrei McCabe » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:11 pm

Thankyou for your response. I have a few years of mui thai training, and some capoera instruction. I feel most fullfilled internally when I train gong fu, which unfortunately is not trained locally here. So I do relly on this forum and Dr. yangs books to help with my internal developement. Thanks again. I appreciate your insight
With respect,e-w
Edrei McCabe
Forum User

Return to General Training and Practice