Soft v Hard

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Soft v Hard

Postby absolute » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:32 am

Hi,

im currently studying tai chi, but am also interested in starting kung fu. Would there be a conflict in my training, or would both styles compliment each other?

Many Thanks

Steve
absolute
Forum Newbie

Postby Modderrhu » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:19 am

Hard styles, "From external to internal"
Soft styles, "From internal to external"

When we are young and full of hard energy, hard styles are more appropriate. But, when we age and lose muscle strength, then internal styles become more realistic than external styles. I see no conflict, just compliment. The people I train with who do both Taijiquan and Shaolin Gongfu, say that the Shaolin styles are easier and less frustrating, but that they get more fulfilment out of Taijiquan.

I only do Taijiquan, but at 34, I wonder if I could learn White Crane - I feel that Long Fist is beyond me now. White Crane knows how to fight close-up, where Taijiquan is effectively sealed when you cannot maintain your Peng.

They're all Kung Fu, by the way. :)
Modderrhu
Forum User

Postby benwarner73 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:28 am

Internal and external training should be viewed as parts of a whole. The basic principals are the same in both types of training. Unless you have a medical condition which would prevent it I think adding some heavier physical training is a good idea.

Ben Warner
benwarner73
Forum User

Postby mike waits » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:38 pm

Grandmaster Li is twice/3x's your age and is still doing long fist<to the 34old who posted its to late>. I have seen a 60 year old woman with a hip replacement practicing long fist.<Her spirit was stronger then a teenagers> If you are to old in your mind then you have already been defeated. As for training soft and hard it is actually recommended to practice both eventually even in long fist the longer you practice the more internal it becomes. I often take long fist forms and practice them at Tai ji Quan speed<vice-versa>
mike waits
Forum Addict

Postby Tarandus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:19 pm

I agree with all the points made above. There are of course, soft/hard styles suitable for all ages, I believe, such as Mizong ('Lost Track Boxing'). I believe that flexibility is probably more quickly acquired with a hard or hard/soft system than with a soft system such as Tai Chi, but it's just a question of time - the same flexibility can be achieved in Tai Chi but just takes longer. Also, of course, Tai Chi starts out soft, but ends up in harder disciplines, as has already been pointed out - such as the two person form, and the fast form (though I have to admit I haven't seen the fast form in practice. I'd be interested in seeing it, but as far as I'm aware, it wasn't a part of the classical Yang Cheng Fu system, and even the two person form was a subsequent invention by Yang Cheng Fu's pupils, who put it together from various moves he demonstrated individually along with moves from his Form). Kind regards, T.
'Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions. Live the questions now. You will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.' Rainer Maria Rilke.
Tarandus
Forum Guru

Postby Dim Mak » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:51 pm

The formula I have always been taught is 2:1. If you practice soft style for 40 minutes, then train in hard style for 20. Hope this helps.
Dim Mak
Forum Regular

Return to General Training and Practice