I need a (*good*) new sword! Feedback, please :-P

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

I need a (*good*) new sword! Feedback, please :-P

Postby N0M4D » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:42 am

Hey, guys!

I’m looking to get a new Jian, and need some input. The thing is this sword would be required to be sturdy enough for cutting practice (small branches and such).

I’ve heard enough horror stories about pricey online-bought swords breaking, bending and being otherwise destroyed when put through more “real” use.

I guess my requirements would be:

- hard/flexible enough that the edge won’t dull easily and the blade won’t break;
- springy enough that it won’t take a bow/set after repeated cutting;
- good, solid handle/hilt construction, so that it can take the impacts from cutting through targets with minor wear;

Can you guys recommend anything, based on swords you’ve handled before?

Thanks in advance
Ricardo Carvalhosa
Almada, PORTUGAL

"I don't know Karate, but I know Ca-razy, and I'm not afraid to use it." - Roy O'Bannon, Shanghai Noon :mrgreen:
(thanks for the head's up, John :wink:)
N0M4D
Forum Addict

Postby MidwestMantis » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:55 am

NOM4D, how are you, my friend?

Best advice that I can give is to ask your teacher or your senior brothers what is best in their experience.

However, if you want to ask some Mantis guy from America, then I would try Paul Chen swords. For the money, I believe they return the most use.

I own several and have been very pleased. Not saying they are the best, but for what I do (training) I get the best bang for the buck.

I do not know about Paul Chen swords availability in Portugal.

Best wishes with your training. 8)
MidwestMantis
Forum Regular

Postby scramasax57 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:49 pm

the paul chen high-carbon steel swords are good. one student brought one on the last california trip, it held up very well through the cutting practice until the last day the tang broke, which is definitely unfortunate. but before that it rarely bent and was definitely a quality sword. i actually bought a fairly cheap one for cutting practice, because i knew it would get banged up and i didn't want that to happen to an expensive sword. the other nice thing about a cheaper blade is it bends before it breaks. it stays bent, but you can usually bend it back. cutting practice is really rough on swords.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Return to General Training and Practice