new to dallas, are there any good schools here?

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

new to dallas, are there any good schools here?

Postby platinum23 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:06 pm

hey there folks,
listen i'm new to the dallas area in texas and i'm a former ymaa student that studied in africa. i'm currently going to chiropractic school, but i was wondering if anyone knows of good kungfu/taichi school here? its almost impossible to navagate the dallas phone book to find a place close by.
thanks
platinum23
Just Arrived

Postby qwackdragon » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:13 pm

Try this

http://www.chinwoo.com/index.htm they have been around long enough to point you in the right direction
life is a qumquat
qwackdragon
Forum Contributor

Postby qwackdragon » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:25 pm

life is a qumquat
qwackdragon
Forum Contributor

Postby BaguaMonk » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:15 am

Platinum :http://www.leeswhiteleopardkungfu.com/index.html

That one is Johnny (Mikwong) Lee's school. They teach lost track kung fu, Wu style tai chi, and Fu style Bagua. I warn you, the Lost Track kung fu is kind of wushufied, I went to check it out and i liked forms and weapons, but then I saw to advandced students spar...it looked like amateur boxing (in other words they don't apply any of their "skills). Lots of high fancy kicks etc.

Fu style bagua is bad bottom.....but he only teaches once a week I believe. And not only that, it is a rare occasion you will ever get past the basics. I've also heard of people studying with him for 10 years and never learning whole Wu form..so be warned :) I don't like politics, just sayin' what I know.But he's a really nice guy and good prices(lets you try out class)

Whatever you do, don't go to Wujido. They have good fundamental training, and good work out, but they charge over 150 a month, plus a 1.5 year contract! On top of that you can't even see the class. They claim Shaolin kung fu, but its really karate mixed with some basic shaolin principles, kind of cult like....

The good teachers in dallas teach privately..and are unfortunately not well known

How long have you trained and what are you looking for?
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby MidwestMantis » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:38 am

I do not know what you are looking for, but I recommend my kung fu uncle who teaches Seven Star Praying Mantis, Wing Chun and Taijiquan in Fort Worth and Dallas. http://www.authentickungfudallas.com/pm.php for the Dallas kwoon, there's a link to the home school in Fort Worth.

Hope you find a new school. :)

*edited for horrific spelling
MidwestMantis
Forum Regular

Postby BaguaMonk » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:51 pm

Forth Worth is far away from Dallas :(, there are good schools, but they are the rather more obscure ones.
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby MidwestMantis » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:30 am

Bagua, did you click on the link thingie? The link is for the school in Dallas! :D

The home school is in Fort Worth but there is a branch in Dallas.

I thought Dallas and Fort Worth were in neighboring counties?
MidwestMantis
Forum Regular

Postby BaguaMonk » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:58 pm

They are, but Dallas is HUGE. Driving to Fort Worth is excruciating, and the highways are terrible.

Oh and I would also have to advise to be careful with the Chin Woo branch of Dallas :)
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice