fasting / cleansing

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

fasting / cleansing

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:06 am

any of you guys fast for periods of time at all? What are your experiences? I just started a 'master cleanse' aka lemonade diet.
i'm on day two....at least 8 to go.....feel pretty good so far.
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby yat_chum » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:12 pm

When you say lemonade do you mean just lemon juice and water or do you mean the fizzy drink? Short fasts (2-3 days) are good but I wouldn't recommend a 10 day fast, the most I have ever done is a five day. Break the fast gently with a glass diluted fresh fruit/carrot juice or an apple chewed very thoroughly. Drink a glass of diluted juice every two hours and a few pieces of raw fruit/veg in the evening. Slowly incorporate other foods over the next few days.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Plus eat live (sugar- free) yoghurt to replace the friendly bacteria that have been lost.
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby scramasax57 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:39 pm

and don't train while your fasting, or immediately after.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby yat_chum » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:03 pm

However, do try to do some light exercise if you feel up to it as this will aid the detoxification process by boosting circulation and lymphatic drainage.
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:10 am

jo tunmore wrote:When you say lemonade do you mean just lemon juice and water or do you mean the fizzy drink?

Not the fizzy drink - the lemonade diet or master cleanser is a mix of water, lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper. Apparently you can do this for over 40 days. Information can be found if you google 'master cleanse' and 'pdf' a good document will come up. As well as lemonade you drink salt water in the AM (haven't done that yet, since i don't wanna dren my pants at work) and herbal laxative tea, which i'm not so big on either.....

As far as yoghurt goes this is a pure fast so I can't do that, but thanks for the tip. I may try this in the future, after my body is cleansed an di can do shorter less intense fasting.

Training i'm doing very little, 8 Pieces Brocade, some stretching, and some meditation. Today is day 3, i've felt no hungr, but supposedly this is the toughest day.
Flip
Forum Addict

fasting

Postby dc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:59 am

im curious...why are you doing this?

i mean, basically you are eating no fat or protein for 8 days...all the sugar is being used by your brain...is this a challenge or something?
dc
Forum Guru

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:28 pm

It's not really a challenge, although I'm sure there is something to be learned by fasting. There are lots of religions (almost all in fact) that have a fasting component, whether to achieve enlightenment or to learn discipline. I'm not primarily interested in all that though it's a great benefit.

The purpose of this particular fast is to cleanse your body of old toxins, excess mucus stored in joints and muscles, to give your digestive system and organs a chance to rest (as opposed to spend energy eliminating toxins), and to clean out the intestinal tract. This is all meant to increase vitality and improve health.

The holistic viewpoint is that disease is an accumulation of toxins and mucus in your body, and that if you don't do something to flush it out, then you'll become more sick.

I'm not overly sick, per se, but I do have allergies and my joints could use some loosening up, and I'm sure that my digestive tract has dren (pun intended?) inside of it that needs to move.

More information can be had at:

www.frenzy.com/~sam/mc/TheMasterCleanse.pdf
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby yat_chum » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:05 pm

Hi Flip, the live yoghurt is for after the fast. I looked up the lemonade diet last night and it seemed a bit extreme to me, although I am a firm believer in the benefits of fasting.
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

fasting

Postby dc » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:07 pm

crazy! i wanna see how it turns out for you. it's like waiting for the next episode of 24...but BETTER.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 pm

LOL very funny DC....
I'll let you know how it works.
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:30 am

I'm on Day 6 and going strong. Or as strong as can be expected when you're fighting a potato chip addiction.
Flip
Forum Addict

Fasting

Postby silverfox » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:09 pm

Hello everyone,

In the Islamic faith we fast for one month in accordance with the month of Ramadan, when the Quaran was revealed. This fasting starts at sunrise and ends at sunset. Nothing enters the body at all. This is a very enlightening experience, but difficult.

I have trained chi sao and centering many times while fasting because I don't have to move much. I found that my reflexes were sharper than usual, and my meditation and qigong training were more productive while I was fasting. Has anyone else had a similar experience in thier training?

Thanks,

Scott
"The greatest goal of life is to cultivate your own human nature
and learn how to harmonize with nature and others around you"

GLMC

Scott Tarbell
Director of YMAA Amesbury
www.ymaakungfu.com
silverfox
Forum Addict

Postby Kuroyama » Sun May 06, 2007 8:18 am

Id really like to know what happened to Flip.

Ive been considering the master cleanse for some time now, but my addiction to the tasty foods around me is enormous (I live in Japan). Still, I went as far as to purchase maple syrup, cayenne pepper... I had lemons but they went to waste... I procrastinated too long.

So Flip? You out there? How did it go?
Kuroyama
Forum User

Postby Kuroyama » Sun May 06, 2007 8:23 am

I should also note that I have reservations about too much weight loss. When I moved to Japan I stopped eating double quarter pounders with cheese and huge cups of coke... my first two months here I dropped 16kg. No changes in excercise (Chen style TJQ). Just dropping the extensive beef and cheese and well as the corn syrup from those cokes...

Anyway, as a result of the weight loss my body constantly ached from training. I even tried 3-4 day layoffs, but the aching persisted. I wrote home and my teacher had me lay off training for a while and put some more weight back on. That stopped the pain and I was able to resume training.

So again. I dont mind losing some weight, in fact itd probably help my heart...but not too much weight.
Kuroyama
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Mon May 07, 2007 2:26 pm

Does fasting help you meditate for longer periods of time?
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Damo » Thu May 10, 2007 7:02 am

Im just about to go travelling across the East for about two and a half years and I thought I would start with a ten day fast. So Im off to thailand first to stay in this fasting place and have two collonic irrigations a day! Im not sure if Im looking forward to it or not!
Damo
Forum Newbie

extreme fast

Postby yeniseri » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:39 am

There are many ways but it is best to start incorporating healthy choices before you know you will be fasting!
Here are some sample ideas!
Phase 1: Slowly eliminate the 'bad' stuff i.e. hamburgers, sweets, processed foods, cokes.
Phase 2: Slowly incorporate more 'enzymatic' foods i.e. fruits of all colors, greens of all kinds. Add more water to diet.
Phase 3 : Be sure you are healthy. If in doubt see a health professional
Phase 4: Start small; maybe a 1 day fast then normalize you diet with the good foods. Then some time later try a weekend fast!
Phase 5; Try to keep up the better food choice over the long run.

http://www.annlouise.com/alg_article_de ... ticleID=90

Please see the differences between fasting and detoxification.

Author and Dietician Ann Louise Gittleman's 'Fat Flush Plan' in one idea of many so please do your research.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice