Matt Furey Training

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Matt Furey Training

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:38 pm

Has anybody tried the exercises put out by this guy? He's a bodyweight/calisthenic exercise proponent, and I've had pretty good results with his methods.

I'm interested though in particular if anybody has tried his abdomenal exercises (combat abs) and had success? I can't find the motivation to do them every day.
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby mookie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:30 pm

My friend borrowed the book from another friend. Its not rocket science, lots of basics. Some of his tips really helped with my bridge, like to use a wall to make your bridge higher. Now I can drop backwards into my bridge. The hindu squats are awesome. Right now I'm trying to get to 500. Shamrock says that the gym he attended in Japan required you to be able to do 500 without stopping just to get in the door and they make the kids at the Lion's Den reach a similar level. Most of the stuff is wrestling specific though.
mookie
Forum Regular

Postby Walter Wong » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:10 pm

I never seen the book myself yet. But I heard it's a pretty good workout.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Re: Matt Furey Training

Postby zipwolf » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:14 pm

Flip wrote:Has anybody tried the exercises put out by this guy? He's a bodyweight/calisthenic exercise proponent, and I've had pretty good results with his methods.

Actually, he isnt...

He is a businessman, and a crooked one at that.

You want to know why? Well at the very least because of his lying about being nothing but Bodyweigt.

http://www.shaolinstrengthtraining.com/

Well lookie there! Its (one very unmuscular looking) Matt Furey.

And he's training with WEIGHTS!

But its ok, because they are shaolin weights, therefore he isnt lying or some dren that he'd come up with.

His methods may work, but he himself isnt a great guy. And doesnt appear to practice what he preaches.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Yatish Parmar » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:14 am

On an off note, I'm reading a fascinating book about Indian Wrestling.. I will post some quotes in here when school breaks for xmas. A lot of the stuff to do with the idealogy and the position the wrestler percives himself as playing in society relate very much to the mindset of may martial artists. (I think.)

But yeah; Matt Furey is a chief. Just nicking stuff straight out of the old wrestling/strong man pamphlets and recycling old yoga/other exercises. None of it is revolutionary or new, it's just about training.

Someone I know has a link to a site with all the pamphlets and exercises scanned in. For free. I'll try and remember to get it off him and save everyone the headache of having to deal with Matt Furey.
Yatish
Yatish Parmar
Forum Guru

Postby zipwolf » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:03 am

w00t, yay for yatish.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

they say

Postby maartenm » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:05 am

http://sfuk.tripod.com/reviews/furey_combat1.html

If you don't like to pay for it you can find all of Ross Enamait's books on emule. I haven't tried any of it, although I probably should :)
maartenm
Forum Regular

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:10 am

Interesting. I heard so many good things about Matt Furey. But this is the first time I heard bad things. I guess he's just hyped up to something he's not.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:38 pm

whether his methods are old or new (are there any true 'new' methods of training?) they get results. I agree he's a huge self-promoter and a bit naseus, but I thought that was just general yankee blow.
Flip
Forum Addict

training is key

Postby yeniseri » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:23 pm

Furey walks the talk (amongst the few) and has an excellent background.
He was a wrestler at Iowa (methinks) trained with Dan Gable, and won an international shuaijiao championship.

His training may be too difficult for the many but it is a good introduction if one is interested.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Training and Practice