Weight training

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby misterwhite » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:30 am

Weight training is useful for external styles. WT works on the mobilizing muscles whereas MaBu, hard QiQong, or Zham Zhuang work on the strength of stabilizing muscles. Several things should be considered when developing a weight training program.

First, choose exercises that increase "power" not "strength". You want your body to perform like a power forward, not a body builder. I will refer you to the books of Donald Chu who incorporates plyometrics in a weight training program. He combines the two into what he calls "complex training". He points out that there is a significant difference between being able to lift 100 pounds and being able to throw 100 pounds across the room.

Second, cycle your training. If you do as most people who weight train do, you will choose a set of exercises, a number of sets to perform, and constantly try to increase the number of reps, the amount of weight, and maybe the number of sets. This is not the way to achieve max performance from your body. Several authors (I can only think of Rob Sleamaker whose book is out of print) address how to manage a training program in which a small portion of the year is set aside as "competition", "resting or light workouts", "intensity", and "building", and other phases. If you are always training hard, or at the competition intensity, you will cause significant damage to your body or at best never develop.

Third, shock your muscles. Doing the same exercises over and over again limits the expression of power. Choose exercises that can be performed safely. I will refer you to author Michael Colgan who has a lot to say about ineffective exercises that are commonly performed and promoted in muscle mags everywhere. He has a lot to say about ineffective and downright dangerous stretching techniques, as well.

Fourth, Martial Sciences require that you develop a personal doctrine, strategy, and set of tactics and find a martial art that works within this framework. I personally found that my fighting style as a 145 pound very quick and agile young adult did not suit my 210 pound, more muscular body 15 years later.

I wish you the best of luck with incorporating WT into your routine.
misterwhite
Forum User

Return to General Training and Practice