punching/kicking bag and noise levels

Discuss training methods, physiology, pedagogy, psychology, morality. Conquer yourself, contribute. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

punching/kicking bag and noise levels

Postby landon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:40 pm

I've been wanting to get a kicking bag for my apartment for training purposes, but I live in a basement apartment with upstairs neighbor who is easily aggitated by loud noise. My question is whether there is a kicking bag that can be installed that doesn't cause to much of a racket while still being able to take a beating? Thanks.
If your keys fall in a pool of hot lava then man, let them go.
landon
Forum User

Postby scramasax57 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:13 pm

don't get a hanging bag if noise is a concern, they're quite loud and i find when i hit mine hard it shakes the house. i guess consider a wavemaster, although they're quite expensive and i don't think they're as high quality. or you could get a column-style bag and stand it against a wall.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Inga » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:57 pm

My heavy bag shakes the whole house too (from the basement) and I hit a lot less hard than scramasax. I think a hanging bag is probably not a good idea.
Inga
Admin

Postby Lohan » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:50 pm

wavemaster- har har.. you'll knock those pieces of junk over with your first hit.
Enlightenment is eating an orange.
Lohan
Forum Contributor

Postby scramasax57 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:07 pm

yeah, i never liked them
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby DOM » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:49 am

Look at ring side products,they have all kinds of striking targets that attach to the wall.Most of the stuff is high quility and funtional.Stay away from there free standing bag,it looks and sounds great but is not much better then them worthless wave master bags.I tried it and it was bad so I sent it back,and I had to fight with them to do so cause they did not want to pay for the shiping back that was very costly because of the 100lb steel base.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:09 pm

yeah ringside is good. a couple other boxing companies make decent wall-mounted stuff.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

bags

Postby dc » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:57 am

i made a small sandbag out of an old playground ball. it worked really well for handstrikes and some kicks. the only bad thing is that you can't really go all out in terms of power or speed unless you are an iron palm master. rock OUT!
dc
Forum Guru

Postby Inga » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:44 pm

hey dan, i like this idea, where do you place the ball..is it hanging or is it on a table? which kicks can you use on it? presumably the weight keeps it put (esp. if you are not going all out).. was this one of your own old toys, or did you steal it from erin? :)
Inga
Admin

follow up

Postby Inga » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:24 pm

landon, have you had any luck with a training bag? perhaps you are considering moving?
Inga
Admin

Postby landon » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:36 pm

wow, i am coming back to this topic serval months later. Still in the same apartment but luckily discovered a near by gym with two heavy bags. Hanging bags are so awesome.
If your keys fall in a pool of hot lava then man, let them go.
landon
Forum User

Postby Inga » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:17 am

hi landon, welcome back..when you get your next accommodation i guess you will take into account where you can hang a bag :) i love my hanging bag, it is a vital piece of my training equipment and a sanity saver. the only thing i could wish for is that it would hit back..then we'd be talking...
Inga
Admin

Return to General Training and Practice