"Pop" sound from the limbs

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

"Pop" sound from the limbs

Postby nchang » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:15 pm

When I pratice my KF I can sense a "pop" sound from my shoulder and my elbow when bending them. The sound is only a tiny bit, only I can hear it, but not always. My dad simply told me it's because i strech my arms too straight when i punch, but is this pop sense a normal situation? If it's not, then how should I recover from it? Thank you for your reply. :D
nchang
Forum Regular

Postby OnlyMe » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:24 pm

If anything goes pop, I'd be cautious. It might be joints loosing, or could be hyper extending. I would say be careful that a little pop doesnt turn into one big pop. That wouldnt be fun.
OnlyMe
Forum Addict

Postby nchang » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:11 pm

Really? I thought this is just a over strechted or something not a big deal. What's a hyper extending? And what makes it happen? I doubt my joints are losing because the pop sound doesn't always occur. It only occur after my work out or practice KF.
nchang
Forum Regular

Postby OnlyMe » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:55 am

nchang wrote:Really? I thought this is just a over strechted or something not a big deal. What's a hyper extending? And what makes it happen? I doubt my joints are losing because the pop sound doesn't always occur. It only occur after my work out or practice KF.

Hmmm, weird. Best thing to do is consult with a doctor. Anything making a popping sound in your body is not good. Something isnt right. Might be ok now, but you dont want to make it worse. Ask a doctor is the best bet.
OnlyMe
Forum Addict

pops

Postby dc » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:30 pm

if your elbows are popping, its possible you are over straightening your arm like your dad suggested. an easy fix for this is to make sure both your triceps and biceps are strong enough to stabilize a punch...a lot of people ignore biceps, but its essential for stabilization of your arms and shoulders. as for the shoulder popping, watch out for it. if you even get a hint of pain or swelling, stop whatever you're doing and ice it. its possible your rotator cuff is rolling over a piece of bone in your shoulder...i tore mine in a similar fashion.

but seriously, if you have any health-related questions, you should go to a doctor.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby nchang » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:59 pm

Thanks for the advice, but what do you mean by stabilizing my arms and shoulders? So far I had absolute no pain or whatsoever, but a "pop" sound sometimes when I bend them. I'm going to see a bone doctor for sure, but is there any way of heal it all by myself? Stop work out for about a month or something like that?

By the way, I weigh only 110 pounds, but I usually lift 20-25 pounds each hand, is that maybe too much for my arms?
nchang
Forum Regular

Postby zipwolf » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:36 am

It is quite possible that is just air coming out of joints. In my case thats what it usually is when that happens. But it IS better to get it checked out.
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Jamestaiji » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:55 pm

When you hear a poping noise in your body that isn't the same kind as the "air/fluid release" of popping your knuckles, meaning you pop every time you make the motion... There's a good chance it's the sound of a tendon slipping over a bone. The muscle tension you build up working out is probably at fault. I would try a combination of working out the triceps to balance out the flextion/extension relationship of your 20-25lb curls, and stretching the bicep before and after working out. Beyond that, the shoulder is a complex group of muscles that need to be well balanced (or stabalized) in order to function smoothly. Most of the time, shoulder problems are caused by overly tense/strong anterior deltoids and pectoral muscles with under-developed back muscles (posterior delts, lats, supraspinatus, triceps ect.) I think it's pretty hard to tell exactly what's going on, but that's where you need to be looking. Chiropractors or massage therapists can be a good resource for information as well... In my experience most doctors (physicians) probably won't help to much. They just don't study that kind of stuff very much. Anyway let me know if that helps.
Jamestaiji
Just Arrived

Return to Injury and recovery