Dislocated arm/shoulder

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby DOM » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:37 am

Dr's.will always steer you away from contact sports even if you do not have an injury.And if they are treating you for one almost always,they are protecting their own hide.I never had a dislocated shoulder but I now many who have had much worse injuries who rehabilited them as best as possable and still train.Your therapist should be the one guiding you to fix it as best as you can.If he is not I suggjest you find a differant therapist.A dislocation will result in over streached ligaments and tendons wich will cause it to happen again and again.But I am sure their has to be a way to streanthen the muscles around it making it less likley to happen again.Find a good sports Dr. best of luck
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:21 am

I struggle with a dislocated right shoulder for the past 4 years. I do some lifting with bricks and dumbbells and hooking a bungie cord around a pole pulling on it with excersises that my physical therapist prescribed to me for my shoulder. I'm always cautious bout my right shoulder when I'm in action - forms, weapons, sparring etc.
One thing is you gotta do is build up your shoulder that's been dislocated. Once your shoulder's been dislocated, it'll never be the same again. Seek a trainer or therapist that would teach you how to build it up. You have to strengthen the surrounding muscles around your shoulder to hold it in.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

shoulder

Postby dc » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:43 am

did your physical therapist give you any exercises to work with? i havent dislocated my shoulder, but i tore my rotator cuff 3 years ago. the only times it starts to bother me are when i havent strength trained in a while. given i don't know the situation with your shoulder, but walter's suggestion about the bungee cord is a good one. bungee cords RULE.

your doctor's suggestion about contact sports is a good one. one of my friends tore her acl, but never let it fully heal before pursuing physical activity again. as a result she re-injured it several times. take all the rest you need to make your shoulder strong.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby rustedspear » Tue May 17, 2005 1:19 pm

Hello everyone.sorry i am new to this forum. Are any of you students of master Yang? I am not and therefore curious, as i would think that he would have good advice
the basics are the secret
rustedspear
Just Arrived

Return to Injury and recovery