Reaction to benign pain

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Reaction to benign pain

Postby RingAndReed » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:11 pm

Not sure if this question should go in the Qigong forum or here....
Now, we all know that pain serves a purpose: to draw our attention to something gone wrong, stop it, rest the painful part and assist in healing... Especially when the pain comes from an injury or body parts stuck in really incorrect configurations. This is not the reaction I'm talking about.

I'm talking the benign little pains a person can get in everyday situations like a muscle twitch or soreness from overwork or rheumatism when the weather changes. In these situations, I think the general advice is to quell emotional responses and use breathing techniques to relax the area - which I think causes Chi to flow there and/or unblock the flow of chi.

For example, I find sitting Ba Duan Jin effective for overnight stiffness and Ziranmen Wu Xing effective against general back and leg soreness.
... Now how about quelling reactions during the work day?

Any comments on this? Any advice for when the discomfort becomes nagging without apparent cause?
Robin Tropper
M.A.Sc., B.Mus.
http://TaichiAdventure.blogspot.ca
RingAndReed
Forum User

Re: Reaction to benign pain

Postby Dvivid » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am

There's an ancient Chinese proverb:
"When you feel pain, move it away."

Yes, relaxation is important. But, you also need to gently stimulate the area that is painful, to increase the circulation there, and resolve the issue at its root.

Stretch more, drink more water, sleep 8 hours, etc...also basic common sense prevention helps.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Injury and recovery