Sciatica

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Sciatica

Postby Joe Shaer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:18 pm

Hello,

I am currently suffering from Sciatic pain. I am getting relief by doing certain exercises and making sure I don't bend at the waist as this would aggrevate the nerve.

However, I recently purchased one of Dr. Yang's DVD's and saw him bend at the waist and touch his toes as to massage the kidneys. I would like to know if there is some type of substitute exercise that would have the same benefits? I can't and should'nt bend at the waste until my disc fully heal.

thanks,
Joe
Joe Shaer
Forum User

Postby yat_chum » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:08 am

Hi Joe, I too am a sufferer. What exercises are you doing? I might have some extra ones that have helped me.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Joe Shaer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply!

I purchased the DVD entiteld "Eight Piece Brocade." One exercise shows him streching his arms up, then bends at the waste (I forgot what the exercise is called but I think its exercise number five). This movement massages and stimulates the qi in the kidneys. I would like to know if there is a substitute exercise that would give me the same benefit without bending at the waste so I won't agrevate the Sciatic nerve. I hope you can help.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Shaer
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:21 am

Hi, Im sorry, sciatic pain is the worst!

I felt it once for a week, which Im actually glad about, because now I can commiserate with my friends and students who have it.

There are two stretches I have heard recommended from various disciplines (yoga, physical therapy) that are effective for sciatic problems.

This worked for me.

1. Lay on your back. Lift one leg toward your chest and grab your knee. Use one hand to bring that foot up and across, so your lower leg is perpendicular to your body, like Tree Pose in yoga. Dont stay stationary, keep moving it in a small way for a few minutes. Both sides.

2. Lay on your back with your arms outstretched. Lift one leg straight up. Turn the waist and lower the foot toward your hand. Keep your shoulders on the floor. At first your foot may not reach the floor, and your shoulders may want to lift. Make adjustments so it is not uncomfortable, and work toward getting your foot to the hand, with the shoulders down, over time. Both sides.

Don't strain in either of these exercises, stay very relaxed and breathe deeply. Try to find the muscles in your back and pelvis and loosen them with your mind. Let go of any unneeded muscular tension in the entire body while you lay there.

Do these twice a day until the problem is gone.

Disclaimer: Im not a Doctor! Ask a Doctor or physical therapist if you're concerned. (I did get these exercises from a physical therapist and confirmed them from a couple sources)

ALSO - dont bend at the waist until your problem is resolved. Dont do the 8 Brocades. Focus on spending a couple weeks letting this problem subside. You have to deal with sciatica quickly, as it becomes like a feedback loop...once it has established itself, its hard to get the nerve calmed down...

You can massage the kidney area, and also tap from the kidneys down to the tailbone to help stimulate this area instead of that exercise (#6).

I hope this helps.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Joe Shaer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Hey thanks for your advice,

I do certain exercises and streches for my sciatica and they help. I would like to keep doing the 8 piece brocade; Do you recommend doing the 8 piece brocade but substituting #6 with the kidney tapping?

Thanks
Joe
Joe Shaer
Forum User

Postby DEADLI. » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:10 am

Joe Shaer wrote:Hey thanks for your advice,

I do certain exercises and streches for my sciatica and they help. I would like to keep doing the 8 piece brocade; Do you recommend doing the 8 piece brocade but substituting #6 with the kidney tapping?

Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe,
you could sub in the kidney tapping or you could also just use the sound related to the kidney, chui (pronounced chwey). The kidney sound is very powerful not only at relaxing the organ, but also the muscles of the entire back.
DEADLI.
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:12 am

Another thing that can be done is simply a more kidney focused breath, if its kidneys you're aiming at. Expanding at the kidneys on a natural ab breath in hale and gently squeezing the area on exhale is a subtle massage. Also if you've seen the way Mantak Chia teaches the kidney breath, there is a slight sitting down bent over motion that goes with the sound, that should be easy on the lower back and still massage the kidneys well.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Injury and recovery