anyone do any grip conditioning?

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

anyone do any grip conditioning?

Postby Ralteria » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Anyone do any grip conditioning and are experiencing tightness in the forearms? The job I've been working actually has increased my grip strength alot (grabbing and manipulating heavy objects) but it has resulted in very tense forearms, which can be painful. I've tried self massage and I practice Taiji Qigong; while it helps it hasn't alleviated it as much as desired.

Just trying to get loose again...if any one has some feedback it would be appreciated.
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby darth_freak » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:34 pm

How long have you been doing it? How much per session? How many times a month?
Do you reckon it could have been too much? Tried stretching?

I find that when I feel tight in my arms coiling movements do help.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Ralteria » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:23 am

Well, the problem I'm having isn't from actual condition, it's from my job. I'm moving furniture around (sofas, loveseats, recliners, sleeper sofas etc.) which are wrapped in thick plastic wrapping which I have to get a pretty darn good hold of so I can break them back on the handtruck or pull them on to the forklift. So I guess...if looked at like an actual exercise, I'm doing it 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, with 1 repition every 30 seconds or so.

I have been doing stretching before and after (at least for my wrists) but I'm honestly unsure how to stretch my forearms effectively. I'll look inside the coiling taiji qigong set for some effective exercises perhaps. Thanks
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby darth_freak » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:18 pm

oh I see.
Do you work alone or you got someone who may have or have had the same problem? maybe you could get tips there.
Because beside stretching I can't see much options. If you can find someone to massage your arms afterward. Self masasge isn't that could as it will tense one arm while the other is being massaged...
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Ralteria » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:37 pm

darth_freak wrote:oh I see.
Do you work alone or you got someone who may have or have had the same problem? maybe you could get tips there.
Because beside stretching I can't see much options. If you can find someone to massage your arms afterward. Self masasge isn't that could as it will tense one arm while the other is being massaged...

I have most of them reply with "that sucks, lol" Nice guys really, but hard for them to understand since all of them are at least 5 inches taller and 100lbs heavier. I'm a fairly small and wiry guy so I don't have the same weight to throw around as they do. I've actually thought of drinking protein shakes to help me bulk up some just to do the job (easier to break back a 300lb sleeper sofa when you weight more than 125lbs, lol). I have no interest in localized mass though, just functional power (hence the martial arts and qigong). Funny enough, I'm not even sure I could even do this job if I hadn't been practicing Qigong for the past 5 years.

As for the self massage, I've run into the exact problem, haha. I'll bug my wife nightly and see if she won't massage my forearms :).
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby darth_freak » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:16 pm

you could also try and see a doc. Western or Chinese one.
cuz you gotta be careful anyway!

lemme know of your progress whatever they are :)
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:57 am

yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Josh Young » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 am

I condition my hands with mudras and the method of being on the fingers in push-up position found in a couple of Yang Jwing-mings books like the one on White Crane Qigong.

The mudras are amazing for me.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Ralteria » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:03 pm

yat_chum wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DayQeLkc710

Thank you...I'm looking for a rubber band now...
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 am

I bought a couple things for this - one, a good rolling pin. bought a good grips coated metal one (so it helps to warm it up first) but you should be able to get your forearms ok with it by using one hand on it normally and leveraging the other side against something, like your leg. one other thing I bought was a pair of 'massage tappers' that seem to help give an impact-ey massage to the muscle.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Ralteria » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:09 am

So far I've been able to keep everything *fairly* loose. I'm surprised this hasn't happened to me sooner, what with the combination of 14 years of intense guitar playing, lots of video games, typing, and now my job.

Man...no rolling pin in that house though. I also found that tapping my forearms with the index and middle finger of the other hand (yaaay sword secret) seems to work well while not impacting the tapping forearm that much.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:26 am

Its gotta be the super strenuous use of your forearms & hands as opposed to guitar playing & typing. I've had a lot of usage out of mine - 22 years of guitar, 18 playing bass, I type like crazy too. Used to pole vault in high school, done a lot of grip work until about 4 years ago, I strained my forearms getting a little overzealous in training...now I just kinda maintain in my exercise, still do lots of pullups, lots of guitar, bass, drums. But yeah, I've only ever had problems when I've really strained hard.

good idea on that tapping, maybe even try doing that same tapping with a meridian based focus, might yield some results for ya.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Ralteria » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:23 pm

Well in retrospect, I probably could have learned to play guitar "correctly". I play pretty intensly and a while ago gave myself a lovely case of tendonitis in my right elbow.

However, you are correct, my forearm tension was not caused by that. It started up a little bit today, but I've noticed *exactly* the motion that is causing it. I'm gripping with most of the stress on the outside of the hand (pinky side) as opposed to the inside (thumbside). Now that I know whats causing it specificly I can change the motion...*whew*
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby joeblast » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:00 pm

awesome...calm, rational, objective assessment wins again! :D
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby David Grantham » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:14 am

Ralteria
Try doing the Octopus Qigong exercise which is referenced in the White Crane book. It is very good for recovery for the hands and arms from this kind of training. In addition, massage ( as you mentioned which was a bit difficult) with herbs for recovery should help. Finally ( you mentioned this as well) tapping your arms ( yang side down towards fingers, yin side up towards shoulders) with your fingers and/or a healing broom will stimulate the Qi and help it rise towards the skin. The stretching is similiar to Chin Na. think of things like "White Crane Nods its head, Twists its neck, Wrist press". These will help in stretching the extensors of the forearm. We use alot of these stretches in the beginning of Chin Na Seminars. Remember to add the twisting element to the stretch as well.
OF course now that you know which action is causing the discomfort there is always the oldest remedy in the book. Do not move that way, ha-ha :lol: !
See the world and seek the truth!
Never say I cant, always believe I will.
David Grantham
Forum Addict

Postby Ralteria » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Doh! I don't have the White Crane book (don't practice White Crane). Somethign to consider though.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby David Grantham » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:25 pm

no problem. Just an additional tool you can use. The others should suffice.
See the world and seek the truth!
Never say I cant, always believe I will.
David Grantham
Forum Addict

Return to Injury and recovery