Hips

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Hips

Postby green_thaddeus » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:39 pm

So since I've started doing alot of kicks etc, I've noticed a dull pain, almost constant, in my hips. Dr. Yang mentions in the fundimentals dvd about how most people have terribly weak joints from using cars rather than walking, and honestly I agree. Is there any way that I can strenthen my hips, kinda get em going for these kicks? I've been doing alot of yoga, that seems to help some...
green_thaddeus
Forum Contributor

Postby Inga » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:28 am

Hips. I have no clue about hips but if you hurt your ankles let me know. Also, good luck on your impending test, I hope it goes well for you. I read on another thread that you are considering trying mantis style next, as the practitioner offers qigong. I use qigong alongside my kung fu, it’s extremely useful. If you have an opportunity to learn more about it from a good teacher, I would go for it. I have read much about qigong, but it was much easier to make some of the connections by taking seminars with Master Yang and getting corrections along with answers to my questions.
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby joeblast » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:20 am

lol look at the dates, havent been to this section of the forum in a while!

for the hips, if you know 8 brocades, the dragon sways tail can have a hip focus.
or standing, do a 'hip opening' movement that turns the body ~45º and make the rotation medial(medi-speak for towards center) from the hip you're focusing on. so i.e. if you're focusing on your right hip you'll be rotating to the left. keep the shoulders square with the hips. that exercise also works the gua.
another one, stand on one leg, extend the other straight, do both medial and lateral rotations of the entire leg, about the hip (make clockwise & anticlockwise circles with your foot as you do it.)
another good one is there's those smooth surface trainer things that basically give you the ability to do a speed-skating motion, also good for the hips.
and while you're trying to fix it, dont do things like full lotus! :lol:
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Hip injuries

Postby Limiturlimitations » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:37 pm

I have been dealling with hip injuries for a while also fornunately my wife and her mother are massage therapist and ballet practioner and the gave me some helpful advice one good stretch is kinda like doing a front split and front bow stance. The front leg looks like a normal bow stance but the back leg turns until the heels are off the ground And your balanceing the back leg on the ball of that foot. Dip low the front quad muscle is paralell to the ground you should feel a stretch along the top of the quad hold for 30seconds then alternate use some thing to hold your balance until you get use to it also lunge stretches help too hope I helped some.
Limiturlimitations
Forum User

Postby Josh Young » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:05 pm

Dr. Yang mentions in the fundimentals dvd about how most people have terribly weak joints from using cars rather than walking, and honestly I agree.

As someone who has never driven, I agree. I walk at least 4 miles a day on average.

Walking is one of my favorite exercises and it is one of the few areas I have real kung fu in due to my having relied upon it so heavily in my life.

I have seen that many people injure easily in practicing kicks. I think some degree of stance training is needed to condition the legs, and warm up stretching is needed to prevent tearing for most people as well.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby clairvoyager » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:29 pm

I agree with Josh Young. Stance keeping will condition your legs and loosen up your hips. Most people find it boring and harsh, though.
clairvoyager
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:31 pm

In general, I find that slow-movement works best for me as opposed to stationary stances. Stationary stances make one specific point in the joint strong and flexible, but the surrounding area isnt stimulated. Also, I have tendency to collapse into the posture a bit.

I did learn a lot from Yin Yoga, where you hold a posture for a long time, in correct alignment, without collapsing.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Injury and recovery