Taiji After Brain Surgery

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Taiji After Brain Surgery

Postby samman » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:06 pm

It has been a very long time since I have visited this forum..

Last year (Dec 29), I had surgery to remove a tumor on my 7th nerve (Acoustic Neuroma). Because of this, I lost all hearing in my right ear and lost the nerve running along the skull that assists in balance. Needless to say, I have been struggling with my balance for months.

Before the surgery, I could do the entire long form with nary a problem. Now, I feel good if I can do a simple Golden Rooster Stands on One Leg posture. About a month ago, I was able to do the Separate Left/Right Foot sequence and just about cried, I was so happy... the joy was fleeting however, as I have not been able to do it again since.

My question to you is, what would be the most beneficial exercise(s)/routine I could do to help with my balance? Can I ever expect my balance to return, or do I just adapt to what I have left?

Thanks,
Sam
samman
Forum Regular

Postby darth_freak » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:34 pm

i'm definitly no expert with balance but maybe you could try standing meditation with your eyes closed. First with both feet twice the shoulders width apart then narrowing the stance. If standing on both feet is no problem, try finding your center while raising a leg to find your central line through meditation on one leg... Like Golden Rooster but stationnary and raising your leg progessively as you feel you're balanced.

Do you see what I mean?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby samman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:27 am

Thank you for your reply, darth...

I have found that if I practice every day, I can see some improvement in balance, but as soon as I take even a couple of days off, I can notice it starting to slip back some.

Yesterday was a good day, as I was able to do the separate foot sequence fairly well (couldn't kick as high, but didn't stumble either).

I will continue to push forward and if anyone else has any ideas or suggestions, I would like to hear them.

Thanks again.
samman
Forum Regular

Return to Injury and recovery