knee injury

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

knee injury

Postby new_york_law » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:17 am

I would recoment Tai Chi , its the best sort of exercise and meditation to heal your injuries.
new_york_law
Just Arrived

Postby lilman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:07 pm

As far as preventing a knee injury, when I was in the U.S. Army, they caught us never to bend down any further then when the knees and toes are level. If you go past there you need to strenghten your knees to hold up the full amount of your body wieght, ie leg lift 180 lbs... If you dont you increase the risk of injury. The best way to not get injured is not extending knee past your toes. you can still do squats, but do them so your knees to not extend your toes, back straight, butt towards the floor. There you go. You still get the exercise and none of the risk.

As far as already having a knee injury, When I was in the Army we were trained on that, but not how to run correctly. My first 2 weeks of training we had to break in our combat boots. We soaked them in boiling hot water, put them on, and ran around a 2 mile track with a 70lb rucksack on. For not running much in your life, and on top of that, not runnig correctly, the impact will destroy your knees. I was diagnosed with Femoral Patela Pain Syndrome (ie runners knee) so seriously I would colapse after a few hours of rest when I tried to stand up. I started Taiji (Tai Chi) practice on my own from books and it got a little better. Enough to where I could control it. About a year ago I started learning Taiji from a teacher. I learned how to correct certain aspects of my form (ie. your center of gravity and top of your head stays LEVEL the whole form accept for in snake creeps down). After about 3 months of preacticing Taiji correctly (ie breathing properly, proper level and pace for health) I no longer had my knee pain, and now at a year I almost forgot about it.

As far as Calcium deficiency, you say you take on more calcium than most of your country. It could be possible you have calcium buildup in your joints. Sometimes if that happens the calcium forms to something like stalagmites in a cave and they poke at your ligaments and you dont produce enough vital fluids in your joints and it causes swelling and pain. I would suggest a 2nd Dr's opinion.
Another thing is you could be taking in things like milk for your calcium intake. Thats good, the only thing is you dont get as much calcium from milk as Drs say. Milk is pastuerized. Anything pastuerized is harder to digest, and milk curdles in your stomache because of this. Most of the milk you drink becomes waste. It also makes it harder to digest ANYTHING that you ate before or after drinking milk, that may not already be digested. If you want a better source of calcium, try fresh sesame seeds. I think its like 1000mg of calcium per seed. And it wont help you eating sesame seed buns on hamburgers cuz calcuim and iron cancel eachother out in the digestive system so you get niether, or little of each. I would also suggest reading up on topogrophy, the science of food combining.
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby injury-law » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:27 am

Most athletes experience knee pain from time to time, but there are some clues that indicate more serious knee pain that may need to be seen by a doctor for a complete evaluation and treatment plan.
If you are a victim of personal injury then do contact a personal injury lawyer
injury-law
Just Arrived

Postby rudyscott » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:56 pm

I experienced that kind of pain,.its so hard to me when i encountered that pain, I can't walk properly, my knee is aching,.my mom said we go to the doctor and I said just don't mom, never mind this I can handle it, when it is heal I ask myself I should exercise everyday and jogging..
rudyscott
Just Arrived

Re: knee injury

Postby Cotton Over Steel » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Knees need Glucosamine chondroitin, and silicate.

Silicate is contained in steamed okra and bamboo shoots (raw and cooked). Lecithin will lubricate the joints.

Exercises that will help: knee circles and bending the inside as in lotus, and outside with heels outward and inside of leg on ground.

Ancient Chinese Exercise Relieves Knee Pain
Source: American College of Rheumatology (ACR)

Newswise — Tai chi is effective in the treatment of pain and physical impairment in people with severe knee osteoarthritis, according to research presented this week at the American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting in San Francisco, Calif.

Osteoarthritis, or OA as it is commonly called, is the most common joint disease affecting middle-age and older people. It is characterized by progressive damage to the joint cartilage—the slippery material at the end of long bones—and causes changes in the structures around the joint. These changes can include fluid accumulation, bony overgrowth, and loosening and weakness of muscles and tendons, all of which may limit movement and cause pain and swelling.

Osteoarthritis in the knee and hip areas can generate chronic pain or discomfort during standing or walking. According to the Centers for Disease Control, knee OA affects 240 people out of every 100,000 people per year.

Tai chi is an ancient Chinese exercise that uses an integrated mind-body approach to enhance muscle function, balance, and flexibility and has been known to reduce pain, depression and anxiety in those who practice the exercise.
Researchers set out to determine if tai chi could successfully treat the physical and mental effects of severe knee OA. A total of 40 patients were randomly chosen to participate in the study. On average they were 65 years old and moderately overweight, and had knee OA for approximately 10 years; 75 percent of the patients were female and 70 percent were Caucasian.

Participants were introduced to either tai chi (10 modified forms from the classical Yang style) or to conventional stretching and wellness education. Each group received the intervention twice-weekly for 60 minutes over the course of 12 weeks. Patients were evaluated with a self assessment questionnaire (WOMAC) that evaluates pain, stiffness and physical function in hips and knees at the beginning and end of the study.

Additionally, researchers studied WOMAC function, patient and physician global assessments, timed chair stand, balance tests, knee proprioception, depression, self-efficacy, and health-related quality of life. These assessments were also done at weeks 24 and 48 to determine how lasting each intervention was for the participants.

Attendance for the 12-week interventions was 85 percent in the tai chi group and 89 percent in the stretching and wellness group. Participants who took part in tai chi exhibited significantly greater improvements in pain, physical function, depression, self-effectiveness and health status. Patients who continued participating in tai chi after the 12-week intervention also reported long-lasting benefits in WOMAC pain and function.

These results lead investigators to believe that tai chi is effective in the treatment of the pain and physical impairments in people with severe knee OA. Chenchen Wang MD, MSc; Tufts Medical Center, Division of Rheumatology, and lead investigator in the study explains, "Tai chi mind-body exercise appears to provide an important approach for self-care and self-management for knee OA; however, these results should be confirmed by future large studies."

Patients should consult their rheumatologists before beginning this, or any, exercise program.

The ACR is an organization of and for physicians, health professionals, and scientists that advances rheumatology through programs of education, research, advocacy and practice support that foster excellence in the care of people with or at risk for arthritis and rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases. For more information on the ACR's annual meeting,
See http://www.rheumatology.org/annual .

Presentation Number: 636
Tai Chi is Effective in Treating Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Controlled Trial

Chenchen Wang1, Christopher H. Schmid1, Patricia Hibberd1, Robert Kalish1, Ronenn Roubenoff1, Ramel Rones2, Aghogho Okparavero1, Timothy McAlindon1. 1Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA; 2Mind-Body Center, Boston, MA

Purpose: Knee osteoarthritis (KOA) is a major cause of pain and functional impairment among elders and has no medical remedy. The basis of KOA is multifaceted and includes impaired muscle function, reduced proprioceptive acuity, and the psychological traits of chronic pain. Tai Chi is an ancient Chinese exercise that uses an integrated mind-body approach to enhance muscle function, balance, flexibility, and reduce pain, depression and anxiety. Tai Chi may thus be especially suited to the therapy of KOA.

Methods: We used a random number list to randomize 40 eligible individuals (age > 55 yr, BMI ≤ 40 kg/m2 with knee pain on most days of the previous month and tibiofemoral OA K/L grade ≥ 2) to Tai Chi (10 modified forms from classical Yang style) or an attention control (stretching and wellness education). The 60-minute intervention occurred twice-weekly for 12 weeks. The primary endpoint was change in the WOMAC pain score at 12 weeks. Secondary endpoints included WOMAC function, patient and physician global assessments (VAS), timed chair stand, balance tests, knee proprioception (Biometrics electrogoniometer), depression (CES-D index), self-efficacy, and health-related quality of life (SF-36). We repeated these assessments at 24 and 48 weeks to test durability of response. The Tai Chi and control groups were compared by intention-to-treat using t-tests.

Results: The participants had mean age 65y (SD 7.8), mean disease duration 10y (SD 7.6), mean BMI 30.0 kg/m2 (SD 4.8), and median K/L grade 4; 75% were female, 70% were white. There were no significant differences at baseline in demographics, radiographic score, and outcome measures. Participants' baseline expectations of benefit from exercise intervention were also similar between the two groups [outcome expectations for exercise score for Tai Chi =4.1 (SD 0.6), controls =4.3 (SD 0.4)].

Attendance for the 12-week assessment was 85% in the Tai Chi group and 89% in the attention control. Participants in the Tai Chi arm exhibited significantly greater improvements in pain, physical function, depression, self-efficacy and health status (Table). Patients who continued Tai Chi practice after 12 weeks reported durable benefits in WOMAC pain [between-group difference -150.2 (SD 116.6), p=0.04 at week 24 and -185.3 (SD 54.1), p=0.001 at week 48] and WOMAC function [between-group difference -572.7 (SD 257.8), p=0.02 at week 48].

Conclusion: Tai Chi is efficacious for treatment of pain and physical impairment in people with severe KOA. Further studies should be performed to replicate these results and deepen our understanding of this therapeutic modality.

[Table included with press release and full abstract at www.rheumatology.org.]
Disclosure Block: C. Wang, R21AT002161 from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2; MO1-RR00054 from the Clinical Research Center funded by the National Center for Research Resources of the NIH, 9; C.H. Schmid, None; P. Hibberd, None; R. Kalish, None; R. Roubenoff, None; R. Rones, None; A. Okparavero, None; T. McAlindon, None.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/545482/
Cotton Over Steel
Forum Contributor

Return to Injury and recovery