Broken spinal complications.

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Broken spinal complications.

Postby Phalanxpursos » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi everyone.

These days I am a cripple, in terms of sports I am handicapt. In 1989 I broke my lower spinal and it was medically neglected for 10 years, after I received treatment I made a comeback in sports and started participating in Chinese martial arts.

These days I am a cripple where I used to be in a semi-coma.

After all sports I have done, these complications appeared. The Chinese hospital send me to a Chi kung teacher, my Qi Gong teacher & Chinese doctors say I am not allowed to have massage without X-rays, am not allowed to do Yoga, Tai chi Chen style or anyother form of sports.

Yang & softest style is an option for me.

But I can't spend the energy gained from softstyle, so I do breathing excersise & tai chi practices when the oppertunity feels right. But routined Tai chi is unhealthy for me, because I have nerval damage a high Qi amount will overpower or shortcirquit my organs.

I get healthy from doing nothing so I turned to writing.
Strategemata Liber Secundus;
"VIII: Restore Morale with Firmness"
Phalanxpursos
Forum Guru

Postby Tarandus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Phalanxpursos: I'm very sorry to hear about these terrible injuries. I'm not a doctor or expert in TCM so don't know what to suggest; in other words, I can't offer advice - just reflections. As far as Tai Chi is concerned, I would have thought that if you remember of course to settle your Chi at the end of the form, using the closing posture to return it to the Tantien, you should be allright, particularly if you stay in the very final posture for some seconds or even a minute to consolidate the return of the Chi. The Form develops as well as circulates the Chi (through the many small channels as well as the larger ones), but if you don't settle it again afterwards, you will of course have Chi floating around in an excited and developed state which I suppose conceivably could have the effect you fear on the internal organs. If you have spinal problems, then certainly, the Chen style would be inappropriate because of the 'explosive' movements and even the Yang Ban Hou style, which retains some fast movements at intervals might not be ideal. The Yang Cheng Fu form, or one of its derivatives would be most appropriate I would have thought, if you wish to pursue Tai Chi despite the injuries. Conventional wisdom would certainly suggest that Tai Chi in one of these gentler manifestations could help your condition - with the proviso I have mentioned about settling the Chi at the end of the form. Meditation and Embryonic Breathing also I would have thought could have a very beneficial influence. The breathing can be done on its own in virtually any position that is comfortable and does not have to be accompanied by Chi Kung. Yang Jwing Ming's book on Embryonic Breathing is an exhaustive treatise on the subject and I would thoroughly recommend it if you don't own it already. Kind regards, T.
'Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions. Live the questions now. You will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.' Rainer Maria Rilke.
Tarandus
Forum Guru

Postby Phalanxpursos » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:48 pm

Thanks for the advice.

During my Qi Gong lessons I felt very healthy and this lasted for a very long time, but the problem is that it's unhealthy for me to feel healthy. Exactly the same effect with pain killers, I start thinking I am a kung fu master (like the movie awakenings).

But I got to watch out for my neck & shoulders.

Even looking to my left side can knock me out for 4 days maximum, so that's why I've decided to rather have a low action ratio and instead focus on writing & reading.

Chinese healthcare saved my life.
Phalanxpursos
Forum Guru

Postby joeblast » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:03 am

I can attest to the 'unhealthy to feel healthy' concept - you just need to conquer it with your mind. When I am diligent in practice, my back feels great, and am more inclined to not be as diligent in practice. Your body is like sisyphus' rock...you need to keep rolling!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Phalanxpursos » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:08 am

joeblast wrote:I can attest to the 'unhealthy to feel healthy' concept - you just need to conquer it with your mind.

True.

I have shifted disks in my neck and between my shoulder blades, I can get a nerval whiplash when looking over my shoulder and be paralised for 4 days. These pains they are like the death pains, but I can shut down all pains in 4 seconds.

Simply by relaxing.
Phalanxpursos
Forum Guru

Postby joeblast » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:29 am

I feel for ya...I feel that I have to go significantly beyond my bounds to cause that sort of pain! Mine usually just creeps up slowly on me...sometimes 'above the noise'...sometimes below...but its almost always there.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Injury and recovery