The leggs

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

The leggs

Postby dresperation » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

I was born deformed, with my little feet facing eachother inward. The doctors just bent my leggs back into place, and thats that. I think in America they might have done a different type of pediatirics. One side effect is that I am very flat footed, with little arch in my feet. From this walking and standing base, I think my tale bone is a little out of wack, and I had pains growing as a boy, but my main issue that I want to inquire about is, does anyone hear know about how this condition of having KNOT KNEES, meaning like, when my thieghs meet my knees the calves of my lower leggs arnt in line. THey jut to the right.

I wonder if anyone here can direct me to relevent knowlege concerning Qi Gong experienced with legg deformities, and how the channels in the leggs would probably cause symtoms of different sorts in other parts of the body. I am also intersted in what might cause the leggs to come out of the womb like that.

Thanks
dresperation
Forum User

Postby dresperation » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:29 pm

THankyou for the encouragement. I just want to speak a little more about my Qi Gong challenges:

I have been trying to preactice the daily streatches that are recomended by Dr. Yang in the Tai Chi book called ESSENCE of TAJI QIGONG, (the one's that he himself said he has done daily for 36 years. I believe he said that they are based somewhat on the eight pieces of the brocade.

Perhaps someone farmiliar with these streatches can help direct my managing and cooridinating of the movements with my bodies rejuvination.

I find that when i try to do the intitial streatch pulling up with the interlocked arms, streaching the neck while pulling down with the lowwer part of the body streaching the abodomen, my left upper arm soccet often does a joint bump and is strained, as my collerbone hurts. This comes in conjunction with a pain in my left rib when I try to do the second part of the streatch pulling up the back from the ribs. Obviously this is symtomatic of an old injury. All of this makes it hard for me to try to regulate my breathing while I am tryin to streach, and I am not sure how much I should be emphisising the pulling part since, and I have to declare that I am a newbee, I find it hard to ballance the front of my body as i pull up with the back. You are supposed to be pulling up and down simmultaniously. Are you supposed to pull more and streach the front and back of the body at equal propotions?

I wonder if anyone here has the movie conterpart of this book. Perhaps they could define the advantage of witnessing the instruction on video.

Gracias--
dresperation
Forum User

Postby scramasax57 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:44 pm

I was actually born with the same deformity, and it was corrected in the same way. I too have very flat feet as a result, but thankfully the only effect I experience is that if I stand for several hours on a hard surface or run more than 3 miles the bottoms of my feet cramp up very badly and make walking or even standing impossible.

As for your stretching problems, I would say it sounds like you have an old injury that didn't heal quite right. As with any stretch, go only till it is slightly uncomfortable. If it is seriously painful, don't push yourself so hard.

Good luck with your training.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Inga » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:49 am

i am also new to qigong, and like you have been focusing on the eight pieces of brocade. my understanding is this is a form of wai dan chi kung. master yang writes in his book titled Chi Kung Health & Martial Arts the following:

"...In moving Wai Dan, a specific muscle or part of the body is repeatedly tensed and relaxed with full attention. The tension should be as little as possible because great tension will constrict the channels and prevent flow of energy. Some people do not tense their muscles at all, but merely imagine tensing them. Others tense them enough to aid concentration..."

it may be that you are over tensing. i certainly was, and i am still having trouble relaxing and being more gentle. but i practice. as i am new to this myself, i hope i am understanding your issue correctly. hopefully i will be corrected if not.
Inga
Admin

Postby dresperation » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:44 pm

I am gladend by your replies.

For clarifiction purposes, the streatches I am talking about, which Dr. Yang said he does every day for 36 years, when he wrote the book, ESSENCE of TAJI QIGONG, are based in part on the eight pieces of the brocade. I had the book, QI GONG for HEALTH and MARTIAL ARTS, and I remember the eight pieces of the brocade being similar, but it is a QI GONG set, and the stretches are designed to mainly for warming up before QI GONG, but I find them quite challengeing, so for me it is QI GONG, requireing time and study of energy.

For my help, I did find a book, by MANTIK CHIA, Ballanceing energy ussing the TAO, at it works well in cunjuntion with the first.
dresperation
Forum User

Postby Inga » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:57 pm

i don't know where you are located, but if you are not already studying with an instructor, i would suggest that now would be the time to find one. i read as well, but i use this resource to augment what master yang and my instructor have taught me in classes. perhaps if you were able to describe your uncertainties to someone who is in a position to correct you it would help, esp. as you say you are feeling pain. i can also recommend shiatsu and/or TCM massage for helping restore balance. they may be able to advise you on your old injury as well.
Inga
Admin

instructor

Postby dresperation » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:04 pm

I am sure you are right.

:)
dresperation
Forum User

Return to Injury and recovery