bone setting

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

bone setting

Postby fujowpai419 » Sat May 06, 2006 2:24 pm

Does anybody know anything about bone setting?
fujowpai419
Forum Regular

Postby Inga » Sat May 06, 2006 4:02 pm

i would would recommend the local hospital
Inga
Admin

Postby fujowpai419 » Sat May 06, 2006 10:48 pm

thanks for the reply but I dont agree completely with the western medical approach of unnecessary surgery. Chinese bone setting is a way to set bones without surgery. I know herbs and massage play a part but I dont know much beyond this.
fujowpai419
Forum Regular

Postby scramasax57 » Sat May 06, 2006 11:24 pm

the information your looking for is in dr. yang's pink chin na book, but this is one area where western medicine definitely has the upper edge. use in conjunction with herbs if you wish, but if you break a bone for chrissakes go to the hospital. master yang would definitely say the same thing.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Inga » Sun May 07, 2006 9:17 am

fujowpai i apologise if i appeared flippant to your post, but we have had some flaky questions on here lately, and you were so brief i was unsure if you were serious or not. my answer was serious. however, i also have a healthy respect for eastern medicine and frequently use herbs as a preventative and initial treatment against disease and injury. i would not hesitate to go to a western doctor if i broke a bone. even if i knew the procedure, it would be an unpracticed one, i would question my ability to do it properly if i was in pain, and if i get it wrong the consequenes are too great. if you are wishing to avoid western medicine, perhaps you could locate some chinese doctors in your area.
Inga
Admin

Postby fujowpai419 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks for the input guys. The reason I ask about bonesetting is because about 2 years ago I was breaking re-breakable boards and I hit with the wrong knuckles and as a result now my ring finger knuckle dips slightly below my index finger knuckle and pinky finger knuckle. I'm not in pain or anything and I can still hit. My sifu said not to worry about it. I guess its more cosmetic than anything else. I went to a western medical doctor and they took x-rays and said everything looked fine, but he immediately recommended surgery. Unnecessary surgery can really complicate things. Thats why I'm looking into alternative means to re-setting it without the risk of surgery. I guess if its just cosmetic it might not be necessary to reset it, but I'd like other peoples input too. Thanks guys.
fujowpai419
Forum Regular

Postby Inga » Sun May 07, 2006 3:51 pm

ah, i wondered why you mentioned surgery. makes sense now. yeah, i would leave it if it's just cosmetic, if your hand still functions the same, especially if you are a bloke. makes for a good tale :) but of course, it may be worth going to see a chinese doctor just for more information. but hearing more about your situation i can't imagine you would want to attempt trying to reset it on your own. maybe also consider a second opinion from a western doctor, especially if you can ask around and find one with a more non-interventionist approach. bear in mind, i think at this point if you decide to 'fix' it there is going to be some risk, no matter what form of treatment you follow, esp. if it needs to be rebroken to reset it.
Inga
Admin

Postby scramasax57 » Sun May 07, 2006 4:55 pm

i thought you meant setting a bone that had just been broken. i actually have an very similar injury; i broke my right hand in a skateboarding accident a year ago, but didn't realize it was broken and basically just ignored it till it healed. now the bones have healed crooked and i have an odd lump in my hand, but it's not incredibly noticable and causes no pain. personally i don't care about cosmetics enough to do anything about it, but i guess if you really want to try asking your sifu if he knows any TCM doctors and read the chin na book.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

resetting bones

Postby dc » Mon May 08, 2006 11:48 am

to fix this problem, you would have to break the bones again, by which i mean they would cut it. if you go to a good ortho surgeon and follow correct rehab practices, it should not be a big deal. 99% of the time when surguries like this don't work, it's because the patient didn't follow protocol.

don't get me wrong, i like TCM...but it just doesn't make sense i a lot of cases; this being one of them.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby fujowpai419 » Mon May 08, 2006 2:11 pm

thanks for the input guys. I wonder if its too late to do anything about it or if I even should. Its been about 2 years. My sifu says its just cosmetic. I can still punch...This whole thing has made me more aware of punching with the appropriate knuckles. I like the whole idea of healing naturally in cunjunction with herbs and massage...I've heard alot of horror stories about surgery. I dont want a cosmetic problem to turn into something far worse.
fujowpai419
Forum Regular

Return to Injury and recovery