knee pain

Discuss and share your injury experiences, your healing process and methods. Help your fellow students recover. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby darth_freak » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:56 am

have you tried, paper?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby slyfox » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:44 am

Hi, i broke my knee a couple of year ago, well one of the 2 disk inside it. i am now an orthotherapist and a tai chi student. what i would recommend before doing any physical training involving intense knee use would be:

1- make sure your not overweight. i know loosing weight is a touchy subject, but the knee is particularly vulnerable. just an example when you are going up or down some stairs, the way the force travel through the knee in each step is about 3X time your weight. Now imagine a bodybuilder doing some squat with xxx pound. The beating the knee takes is incredile, reaching sometime up to 2000 pound of pressure in the knee.

2- warm up, warm up warm up. When i do tai chi the first set is only to warm up, not alot of streching occur. what i do before training at home is i do some stationnary bicycle. I'd suggest doing about 6-8min with no resistance on the stationnary bike only to get the knee warm up, and then i do another 20min to work cardio and loose the damn weight. then i do some squat and some snake.

3- Strech before strech after to avoid any abnormal residual tension in the ishio and the quadricep. Having alot of tension prevents the normal regeneration of the cartilage and stop the synovial liquid to properly circulate in the knee joint. Before, when i practice my tai chi i use to lock my knee when i streched. the result was that my legs where so jam and the muscle hurted alot when touch. im used to massaging alot of people and i never saw someone with legs as stiff as mine(in a bad way). Now after my new teacher just sayd to let go of the knee i finaly realize what he meant... He wasn't the first to say it to me in my 2 year of practicing tai chi, but for the first time i finaly figure out what he meant. So the key to avoiding residual tension in those muscle is to STRECH. right now i have almost a 1 hour streching schedule that i try to do at least 3 time per week.

Sorry for my english, i studied in french, i trie to make sens, but i fail sometime, if you have any question concerning the term i use, or if i have made some mistake , plz correct me.

and by the way some knee problem can be very serious if not treated properly, id sugest seing a doctor or a physiotherapist before trying to overcome it.
Last edited by slyfox on Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Relax, smile
Let go of any tension,
Keep the intention
slyfox
Forum User

Postby slyfox » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:48 am

i could continue on the subject of preventing articulation problem
4- Food. It's in line with the first point that i brought up, weight, it's not only important to be fit but also to watch what you eat. Refined food like white salt, white sugar and white vinegar are terrible for the articulation. replacing the white vinegar with some apple vinegar or balsamic vinegar is a good choise. Same for the white sugar, using some honey(not the liquid one witch is also very refined) or some brown sugar . As for salt, trying to avoid the prepackage food witch contain alot of salt to add flavor is a good thing and replacing the white refined salt with some sea-salt with herbs is great. Red meat is also another thing you would want to diminish in your food. well im no deitician (sp?) but since no one seem to be talking about these thing ill let you in on what i know. A well balance diete is a good start for a healthy body, but be carefull of the low on fat meal witch are sometime high in refine salt to add taste.

5- rest. you know, a good night sleep, not over training, taking day off during the week to train another part or just a day off from the normal training schedule.

hope this helps, ill keep on posting if i find other usefull information concerning knee/articulation problem.

Also i find that after a day with a long training session , the uses of a cream to heat up the muscle is a great way to prevent soreness in the following morning. A massage would also be of great help recovering.

Evrything i talked about is from personnal experience, maybe the personnal result may vary.
Relax, smile
Let go of any tension,
Keep the intention
slyfox
Forum User

Postby slyfox » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:38 am

I don't really understand the question, all I was saying was concernning the bodybuilder doing squat with huge amount of weight, usually to impress or because it's one of most powerfull way to express strengh pushing upward. At home i train with 2 set of 7.5 lbs free weight, i don't need more, just a bit too add a little extra challenge to some excercise. I took the bodybuilder as an example concerning the knee pressure. Like I explained previously, when the knee is bend at a 45 degree angle or so, the pressure it endure is 3 time that of the humman bodyweight or so.
when i talk about rest, i mean to not overstress your body by doing the same excercise evryday but to alternate between different training. A week or more of training break can reduce your performance.
Relax, smile
Let go of any tension,
Keep the intention
slyfox
Forum User

Postby avraell » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Hey mike, my ACL is torn right now, having surgery on the 6th of December. Were you ever able to get back into sparring and/or forms involving high kicks? (kicking with the injured leg doesn't seem to be a prob, balancing on it to pivot and kick with the other is). How bad is the pain? Was your meniscus torn at all?

@initial poster: Ideally it's just tendinitis, too much stress and not enough rest for the ligaments. I had that before my injury when I ran about 2-3 miles every other day. Like everyone said, stretch, warm up, and rest.
avraell

Return to Injury and recovery