tower view liveries

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby Walter Wong » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:49 am

We (Boston) used to do it all like that in sparring class. The iron body conditioning-arms, legs and etc. Fighting forms at full speed and contact. When I first started sparring classes years ago, chin na and takedowns were practiced as well. But now those things are just things Master Yang expect you to do on your own time with your classmates outside of sparring class. Most of what Master Yang is pushing for in the sparring class itself is footwork, speed and reactions. Spending an hour on the actual sparring work with a minum of 4 minute rounds semi to full contact. The first half hour, is the warm up, light stretching, footwork and speed drills.

But I think you guys in Andover are on the right track. I'm guessing Alex is probably training you guys like how he used to train sparring under Master Yang. I think you got a great routine of conditioning and drills by what you described you guys are doing in Andover sparring classes. Keep it up.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby OnlyMe » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:40 am

Walter Wong wrote:We (Boston) used to do it all like that in sparring class. The iron body conditioning-arms, legs and etc. Fighting forms at full speed and contact. When I first started sparring classes years ago, chin na and takedowns were practiced as well. But now those things are just things Master Yang expect you to do on your own time with your classmates outside of sparring class. Most of what Master Yang is pushing for in the sparring class itself is footwork, speed and reactions. Spending an hour on the actual sparring work with a minum of 4 minute rounds semi to full contact. The first half hour, is the warm up, light stretching, footwork and speed drills.

But I think you guys in Andover are on the right track. I'm guessing Alex is probably training you guys like how he used to train sparring under Master Yang. I think you got a great routine of conditioning and drills by what you described you guys are doing in Andover sparring classes. Keep it up.

Yeah, the constant bruises are starting to go away now. I think the body condition stuff we do in Andover is working well. Though the shoelace against the side of the leg still makes me wince sometimes. :lol:
OnlyMe
Forum Addict

Postby Inga » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:43 pm

I would really miss it if we did not body condition. I also do not bruise as easily as I did before I began the conditioning. It feels good to get the chi moving and helps build a bond with the other students because of the trust involved. I look forward to the sparring because it gives me a chance to put our weekly drills into practice. As this is a smaller class and we always mix partners I get more feedback on how to make improvements.
Inga
Admin

Postby darth_freak » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:47 am

'digging out this old topic.

I was wondering if someone knew the scores one should try to attain with the footworks and speed drills.
I only know that for punching it's 60 punchs in 10 seconds.

and if someone could sum up all the footworks and speed drills (just to be sure I don't miss any :? )

'Hope somebody will answer.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:06 pm

The grabbing motion is 180 in 30 seconds. I dont remember the others, but I can check.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:17 am

yes, please. :D

the drills I know are: stationary hopping for 1min'30sec, punch back and forth, hips drill, crane hops back and forth (double for 2 stripes and above), 45° jumps. Plus the one you said but we use this one only in qinna class.
anything I'm missing?

We don't have sparring class in Paris but I'd want to improve my speed.

and by any chance, would someone know the drills for taiji sparring? I'm wondering how they get ready for battle, endurance, speed and stuff.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:05 pm

YMAA Andover is closed this week (4th of July), so I'll have to wait till next Monday. Walter might know though, he has lots of experience in YMAA sparring.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:33 am

I don't want to seem insistant, but did you ask?

thanks in advance
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby darth_freak » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:12 pm

anyone? Walter? DOM? Dvivid? Eric? please :cry:
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby DOM » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:41 pm

I do not know if the time limit is something that is is required for ranking or not.All I can say is we do most drills for a minimum of one minute,if time permits longer about 2 minuts some drills even longer.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby darth_freak » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:47 am

well, when Master Yang came, he said we had to do X movements in Y time to train speed. I find it's easier when you know how much you should do than going your own rhythm with your own time. It's my personal feeling because I tend to be slow...
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:45 pm

I'll ask tonight, I promise.
n. andover, ma branch

scramasax57