Bruce Lee sparring video clip

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby Syd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 pm

It's been well known for years that the 1 inch punch is based on the mechanics of the Taiji punch with fajin ... Bruce also meditated and had some element of Qigong in his training so he was well aware of other styles and Taijiquan was one of them. The whole principle of remaining soft until the point of impact and snapping the punch like the tip of a whip is pure Taijiquan. His descriptions of keeping the fist relaxed and loose is exactly how we have our Taiji fist at all times ... this is what he took from Taijiquan and borrowed into JKD.

Regarding the Wong Jack Man fight ... do the research ... Bruce really lost that right and he knew it which is why he abandoned Wing Chun and totally developed a whole new style. Wong Jack Man held back and did not use any of his lethal kicks and only parried Bruce away cause he was going nuts ... Wong Jack Man was aware that it could get out of hand so he used restraint because Lee's temperament might have not handled the full brunt of Wong's attack ... he feared he would have to kill Lee so he was fighting defensively and doing enough to control the situation and keep a lid on it. I think it is very sad the way the Lee foundation have sold the story about that fight the way they have ... it's complete defamation of character and false, very sad.

Bruce changed his art because he knew he blew it.
Syd
Forum Contributor

Postby lilman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:33 am

:) Im sorry syd, I realize how I explained could be misleading but what Bruce explained in his book was not the same as the Taiji punch, only because he tenses his hand at the moment of impact and does not jerk it back. In Taiji you remain relaxed and jerk the hand back at the moment of impact, making the attack sting and damage like a whip, as the internal energy moves into the opponent, and the jerk stops the Qi from returning back to you. Bruce Lee was relaxed at first, but used force and tightened the muscles to stop the Qi from returning at the moment of impact, and kept his hand there for a brief second before withdrawling to let the QI further penetrate since it stagnates in the hand from the tensing of muscles.. Its almost the same theory only it ends with external power instead of internal. Its the same in arts like snake fist. The one inch punch is essentially Taiji Fa jing, and its more effective the Taiji way for internal attacks, he just used it differently. i heard he did practice Taijiquan though.
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby yat_chum » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 am

One inch punch by Bruce Lee
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=keS3OTNger8

You can't judge the one inch punch by the clip because in the clip the punch is done incorrectly (Bruce was either being kind or was unable to do the technique correctly). When the one inch punch connects the opponent doesn't fly backwards, they drop to the floor.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Syd » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:09 am

lilman wrote::) Im sorry syd, I realize how I explained could be misleading but what Bruce explained in his book was not the same as the Taiji punch,

I didn't say it was the same ... I said very clearly that he employed Taiji principles and mechanics in order to borrow that into his own system - his 1" punch was from Taiji principles but as you say using external technique, basic bio mechanics sans Qi.

I have the book also ... had it for many years. I also have friends in the martial arts community who are very close to people who had direct association with Bruce and can vouch for these things - this is why it's a well known fact. I would say that 98% of Taiji practitioners never get that Taiji punch correct either and would only ever end up performing it the external way in any case; such is life.
Syd
Forum Contributor

Postby lilman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:10 am

:) sorry I misunderstood your post then. :)

If you wouldnt mind Syd, giving me your opinion based on your knowledge to see if I got this right.

From my understanding of fa jing, its completely relaxed, starts from the feet, travels up to the waist, and is guided up the back and out the arms/hands/fingers etc into the opponent, so the whole body moves like a whip in a wave like motion.

Your spirit should be raised and your Yi on the target, about 1 inch behind if its a breaking technique, about a foot or more away for a "pushing" technique, and at the correct depth for a cavity technique.

At the point of impact you withdrawal the attacking "limb" to make a whip like stinging effect and to stop the Qi from bouncing off the opponent into you, so the Qi also penetrates the opponent deeply. The movement is completely sung from beginning to end, and withdrawal and advance coordinate with your breathing and defense and offense. The opponent should feel no muscle force or push, it should feel soft and supple, yet be devastating.

Sung means the minimum amount of muscle strength is used. For a Fa jing attack, its pretty much none, just enough to hold the arms up. the arms should only move if the waist guides it there. All the power comes from the root, body weight and the waist. They should never move independantly. Thats why San SSu Ching is important.

Also you can coordinate with the sounds Heng and Ha. Ha when strong offense, used on exhale. Ha with strong defense used on inhale. Heng on weak defense used on inhale, Heng on weak offense used as exhale. By strong and weak I guess more and less devistating may be the best way to describe it...

Does that sound anything like the Fa Jing you learned?

Im not trying to test you, just like getting other peoples opinions because people learn differently and different teachers teach it differently. I also like to compare what I learned and make sure Im learning correctly.
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby Syd » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:45 am

Lilman,

Everything you have written sounds about right from my own readings of the Classics, it's very difficult to discuss these things in theoretical terms when trying to describe something internal and yet physical but the essence of correct Fajin is clearly described in the Yang Family training manuals ... Douglas Wile does a good job of this and it is made very clear.

This article gives a good example of what I have been taught in my own system ... http://www.taiji-qigong.co.uk/Articles/fa-jing.htm
Syd
Forum Contributor

Postby lilman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:43 am

:) thank you for the info, it sounds like what I learned too. Just to comment on the subject, When I started "relearning" fajing with my new teacher, a Chen master named Tang stopped by the temple and demonstrated fajing for me. With him, It felt like his arms were dead. Just completely relaxed, yet he could easily put me down in push hands with no physical force at all. His secret is the waist, the waist should control the complete movement. Which makes Chang Man Ching's story make sense when he dreamed he had no arms and discovered the real meaning of Sung. He also always kept his eyes up and concentration on the accupuncture point at the center of the palms. Thats the secret to things like unbendable arm in Taiji. It also helps you stay in control of the opponent. Its like the Taiji Diagram, Your softness reaches its peak and it itself turns to hardness. There should be no physical power, but the soft should be hard.
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby Syd » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:51 pm

One thing about the original footage of Bruce performing the 1" Punch at Ed Parkers event that I found a bit disingenuous was that he had the guy standing in front of a chair ... so basically as soon as he got pushed back a little bit he would tumble over the chair; naturally ... anybody would! That was a bit of a sales trick for me and never really impressed me because the punch should be able to speak for itself but they stuck the chair there to create a bigger effect than you'd normally get.

The question anybody has to ask themselves is how effective is this technique given that the guy just gets up again and dusts himself off? If the chair was not there what then? He would have just taken a few steps back ... this is like the issue of Fajin ... it's not about pushing people backwards ... there has to be explosive power released internally ... maybe this is something Bruce never really understood or acquired and rather was content to use the external mechanics only ... I think the footage speaks for itself.
Syd
Forum Contributor

The case of an LA phone book and BL's 1" punch

Postby jfraser » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:21 am

Iwas a student of Bruce Lee's in the basement of Tong Society and Seattle's Chinatown, in the early 1960's. I can tell you that this one inch punch is for real and not a push. As I recall Bruce had the man he was demonstration on hold an LA phonebook on he chest, and is where Bruce hit him. The phone book dispursed the penetration resulting in the effect of a punch.

:)
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:38 am

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby kos » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:21 am

I really wanted to see that video but it's no longer available :(
kos
Just Arrived

Postby yat_chum » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:10 am

The original clip, from what I remember.

Bruce Lee - Sparring (Jeet Kune Do show)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVVGZEFQusM
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby yat_chum » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:20 am

Bruce Lee Demonstrations
Various demos Bruce Lee did including the Long Beach Internationals.
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFbRaVV-6u0
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IavEYSlD0ak
yijing zhidong

yat_chum
Forum God

Postby LeonHerese » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:23 am

[quote="Tandem Car Park"
Why do you think Bruce Lee then gravitated to boxing-like footwork similar to what is seen in kickboxing and MMA matches?[/quote]

Maybe he decide to make his own style.
Ozunu: Weakness compels strength, betrayer begets blood; this is the Law of the Nine Clans.
nunchaku
LeonHerese
Just Arrived

Previous

Return to Sparring and Fighting