What is your preferred fighting stance and why?

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

What is your preferred fighting stance and why?

Postby Balloo777 » Sun May 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Hello everyone, I am trying to decide which stance to train/spar from. I am deciding between a stance in which the hips are angled at a 45 degree angle away from the opponent, and one in which the hips are squared in relation to the opponent.

In the angled stance i seem to be able to move more efficiently, as well as having a wider variety of kicks, and it is also easier to move to the outside of an opponent.

In the squared stance, it is good for trapping and attacks are less telegraphed, but the center is more exposed and my footwork does not seem to be as quick.

What do you guys think?
Balloo777
Forum User

Re: What is your preferred fighting stance and why?

Postby chh » Mon May 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Can you explain a little more about the way the squared stance leads to less telegraphing? Just telegraphing of the stuff going on with your back leg/hand?
chh
Forum Addict

Postby Balloo777 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:26 am

When I say squared stance, I picture something like the southern mantis fighting stance in which the hips are squared, and both hands are held out away from the body, both an equal distance. When the arms are extended in such a way, being squared means that both arms are the same length and neither needs to be moved from the rear to strike. This is unlike a boxing stance for example in which one hand is the lead and the other is the rear hand.
Balloo777
Forum User

Postby yat_chum » Fri May 10, 2013 7:45 am

Hi Balloo777, what about your foot positions?
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby Balloo777 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:58 pm

the lead foot is either facing straight or ahead or just slightly turned, and the back foot is angled at about 45 degrees give or take, with the weight almost evenly distributed and im on the balls of my feet. I find that this gives me the ability to move easily in any direction. I just cant decide if i should angle my torso or stay squared.
Balloo777
Forum User

Return to Sparring and Fighting