Shaolin vs U.S. Navy

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Shaolin vs U.S. Navy

Postby Phalanxpursos » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:14 am

Strategemata Liber Secundus;
"VIII: Restore Morale with Firmness"
Phalanxpursos
Forum Guru

Re: Shaolin vs U.S. Navy

Postby yeniseri » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:09 pm

US Navy does not permit active duty personnel to engage in such games. The fellow probably served but he does what he is doing and that is as a kickboxer or whatever venue is in force per the bout. The other guy is just wearing yellow trousers! 8)

Nice video, :D nontheless
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby goderick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 pm

that not possible to do. cause U.S NAVY is using a high powered weapons then the SHAOLIN is by using a kind of kong fu , i agree if he well be fighting in desame tactics.
goderick
Just Arrived

Postby DEvanHall » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Interesting. Whether it's true Shaolin or not, idk, but Shaolin today emphasizes quite a bit of SanShou (I think that's how it's spelled, basically kickboxing) -- basically simpler techniques, some may argue more effective and easier to learn techniques -- over what a lot of people would consider kung fu. What I would like to see in a ring-fight would be a true traditional stylist using the flash and pizazz (joint locks, body mechanics, timing, distancing, leverage, etc.) that we often see in the school setting. Of course, a lot of those moves wouldn't be allowed because they're designed to break bones and rip tendons.
DEvanHall
Just Arrived

Postby SCMT » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Old post but I think the alleged Shaolin Monk is Yi Long and he is not a Shaolin Monk or any other type of monk, he is a fake and basically just a Sanda guy dressed in yellow pants with a shaved head.
SCMT
Forum User

Postby Sanfung » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:55 pm

I hadn't ever heard of Yi Long, so I did a little research on him. I was surprised that someone involved in Sanda would try to brand himself as a monk. It also looks like he was involved in some kind of fighting organization called Wu Lin Feng.

Apparently from what I found, Yi Long's promotion as a monk was a gimmick in the way that a professional wrestler may be branded in numerous ways.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to Sparring and Fighting