Krav maga

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby yeniseri » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:55 pm

Krav Maga is not a dirty way of fighting. It is the realism of toughness and decisiveness necessary to stop an uncompromising enemy.
I am familar with it through some former IDF personnel while in Middle East but some its former founders were skilled in judo, jujitsu and some karate. It is about basics which you train in until it becomes rote.

TO add some realism to tai chi, try adopting krav maga into your training and see how better you become.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Depends which school you attend...

Postby MattK » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:24 pm

Krav Maga has some of its roots in American Combato and Close Combat which is a simple and highly effective method of self-defense devised for United States soldiers in World War II and used in thousands of documented police and military conflicts. This short course of training was created by Fairbairn, Sykes, Colonel Rex Applegate, William Donovan and members of the OSS because of a perceived inadequacy in our troops' Hand to Hand training. The prospect of confronting Japanese Soldiers in the jungle skilled in Judo and Karate led to a training overhaul by our own military in the late 1930's that resulted in a system of simple strikes used successfully by U.S. soldiers during countless close engagements against Japanese troops in World War II.

I've worked with several Krav Maga students and 2 instructors as well as straight Close Combat instructors and they are very tough. Some Krav schools however have drifted into more politically correct methods and become enamored of locks, holds and other restraining maneuvers which, as almost any NYC or Yonkers police officer can tell you, is almost impossible to pull off against an adrenaline-enraged attacker without multiple backup. Legally, Law Enforcement Officers have to restrain violent felons without hurting them even tho using such methods often exposes them to far greater danger that may cause an escalation to use of firearms unnecessarily.

When you combine Tai Chi internal principles of Sensitivity, Balance, Body Unity and Loosenes with superb Combatives like those taught by (for example) Carl Cestari, you get a very potent mix.
MattK
Forum Newbie

Postby BaguaMonk » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:29 pm

Yes true, but even these principles are incorporated in such arts such as kali or silat. One of them even has fa jing in it, or at least full body strikes (one of which goes directly up into the nose). You can see alot of influence from asian arts in these systems, even in systems like systema. They are just shaped for instant subduing of opponents.
"Absolute truth is obtained when the mind achieves complete stillness, the ego and thought are like shackles and chains, blinding you from the obvious truth"
BaguaMonk
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Sethontus » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:02 am

yeniseri wrote:Krav Maga is not a dirty way of fighting. It is the realism of toughness and decisiveness necessary to stop an uncompromising enemy.
I am familar with it through some former IDF personnel while in Middle East but some its former founders were skilled in judo, jujitsu and some karate. It is about basics which you train in until it becomes rote.

TO add some realism to tai chi, try adopting krav maga into your training and see how better you become.

Hi, my name is Sethontus and I'm new to the forum. I agree with your statement. When you can observe ways like Krav Maga and what you can see in the NHB competitions and apply it to a martial art like Tai Ji, you then will have a pretty effective way of fighting. As a matter of fact, this is what Bruce Lee introduced the the martial arts world. 8)
Sethontus
Forum Newbie

Postby zipwolf » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:10 am

Bruce lee invented krav chi? :p
zipwolf
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Sparring and Fighting