sparring stripe

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

sparring stripe

Postby samosbamos » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi guys :) i was just looking through the YMAA manuel again today and it said that there was special stripe for sparring, that goes down on the knee! ive never seen anyone with this stripe or heard anyone ever talking about it :?: i was just wondering how come ive never seen or heard anybody talking about the stripe but yet it is in the YMAA manuel?
samosbamos
Forum Newbie

Re: sparring stripe

Postby chh » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:14 pm

Yeah- the sparring stripes don't appear to show up on the instructor profiles at YMAA schools as far as I can tell. On the taijiquan side, I thought that Roger Whidden had been involved in the sparring curriculum, but I'm not certain. Maybe someone who knows more of the instructors has more information.

There's some more explicit discussion of the way sparring at YMAA works here: viewtopic.php?p=7426#p7426
chh
Forum Addict

Re: sparring stripe

Postby oldstudent » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 pm

The training manual was printed as an educational guide so that students interested in studying YMAA could have a basic understanding of the training involved. The ranking system stripes for both Shaolin and Tai Chi were very important for many reasons, however when we started to sparr and progressed to deeper levels every 6 months, we found that there was no reason for a sparring stripe. There was no purpose for it because we concentrated on our conditioning and the martial application of the forms and techniques we learned in our regular training sessions.
We advanced together mostly as a group and we knew each other very well. No one ever cared about getting a sparring "stripe" so it just disappeared from our minds. The purpose of sparring was for the student to develop the martial application of the art. To make it real[i].
And yes Roger Whidden was one of the students in the sparring class. I sparred with him and the other students many times. I was always facinated by the martial application feeling from a Tai Chi student compared to a Shaolin student. It was soft yet firm, yielding yet directing, smooth and silent yet strong and controlling. The funny thing I remember most about sparring was that I lost just as many times as I had won. But then again it wasn't about winning and loosing. We left our dignity at the door. It was all about every student pushing each other and getting better. That was the ultimate fight and my worst enemy was not my opponent. It was myself............................Old Student.
[/i]
oldstudent
Forum User

Return to Sparring and Fighting