Anti-ground fighting

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Re: Anti-ground fighting

Postby meditationsolution » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 am

Hi Yue,

I would suggest you to keep away from him. There is no point in finding a technique just to tackle him.Since he knows the art he will come up with something else.

Thanks,
meditationsolution
Forum User

Clenching and Toppling from Heavier Opponents

Postby Jucudeno » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:25 am

I have had a similar experience recently. I got in a skrap with a man who was making threats and gestures, showing the intent. I only jabbed him once, which is perhaps odd to say. I know that I should seek to end violence as quickly as possible in any combat scenario, but I wanted to initiate the fight and allow him to know my intent before we began. A bad tactic, call it misplaced morals. But at any rate, I hadn't rooted myself very much, as I expected the natural response of a man who had just been jabbed in the face would be to swing back. Instead, this man who has some decent muscular build, and is perhaps fifty pounds heavier than me, clenched me with both arms around my body in a bear hug and then threw us both to the ground. He then clenched my head to his chest. There are several things I know that I could have done better, for instance, to have had an active guard, proper distancing, positioning, root, and perhaps to not have gotten into the fight at all. But, assuming that is his tactic, I am curious as to the best way to deflect a man's bear-hug/clench.

Given my previous martial arts experience, I know there are several techniques of qin'na which counter this, but against a stronger and unwilling opponent, what is the best? And should he do it again, headbutting, sinking my weight, what is the best reaction?

Oh, the end of the conflict was me struggling against both his arms with my neck, a hard task, and lifting them with my hands. I know that I could've bit his nipple off, for instance, but that's just nasty, and not very polite. I was in no peril that I could sense, and he didn't hit me on the ground, so obviously it needed no castration or eye gouging, etc. It was a stupid fight, and one that I could've avoided. But I still feel the need to defend myself against this tactic in the future. Anyway, I lifted one of his arms with my hands, and wrenched my neck out, he tried to tackle me, it didn't work, we stopped fighting. No injury on either part, save concrete scrapes. But yes, I would like some advice as to everyone's proposed technical counter to this scenario, if you would be so kind as to oblige.

I thank you for your help.

Amitabha,
-Ben
"Study is to study what cannot be studied. Undertaking means undertaking what cannot be undertaken. Philosophizing is to philosophize about what cannot be philosophized about. Knowing that knowing is unknowable is true perfection." - Chuang Tzu
Jucudeno
Forum Contributor

Postby Ralteria » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:00 pm

hrmmm...well besides walking away initialy?

Unless you are absolutely sure of the power you can generate (which I personaly would not bet on regardless) I wouldn't bet on a person's reaction in a fight. In the Kenpo some of my best friend's study your attack should really not stop until your opponent is under control or on the ground. Jabbing someone and then waiting for them to swing back isn't really controlling the situation, more over putting the ball in his court.

Take the ball completely. Thats why any complete martial art has strikes, throws, and joint locks. They should really be used together. Go with the force of the attack. He goes to grapple, flow with him and take him to the ground. 9 times out of 10 he would more than likely just end up with a handful of shirt instead of a handful of you. Neutralize his force and give it back to him.

Or better still, buy him a drink and try to resolve the situation. There is a wonderful link I believe connected with Dan Hood (can someone verify?) about resolving a disturbance in a coffee shop drive through on the main YMAA page. Excellent ideas on the "third" option. Not too Yin, not too Yang.
Caution...Wisdom may cause bruising.
Ralteria
Forum Addict

Postby yat_chum » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:27 am

I know that I could've bit his nipple off, for instance, but that's just nasty, and not very polite.

"Morality comes before and after the fight."
Grandmaster Abner Pasa, Balitok Eskrima
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

against ground fighting

Postby pcblake3 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:19 pm

I am impressed with everyones helpful comments but, I wonder if there may need to be a change in mindset. Instead of thinking of techniques to counter whatever your opponent may do, think of flowing with him.
Instead of having in your mind that you are fighting him, let him do what he wants. If you can connect with his energy and be ahead of his force you can lead and control him.
Taijichan does not look like fighting. Most of the counters and attacks are subtle and sneaky. We take advantage of what opportunities we find. If you neutralize properly the handles, or entries, to your opponent will occur. You just have to be able to recognize them.
Flow like water, move with your enemy and be the sneakiest bugger around.
pcblake3
Forum User

Previous

Return to Sparring and Fighting