Torn Rotator Cuff. Training advice

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Torn Rotator Cuff. Training advice

Postby William » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:50 pm

I am still training despite this fact, 10-20 hours a week atleast half is alive (with lots of Qin Na OUCH) despite my injury.
I have been doing alot of work at 1/5 - 1/4 Full Speed, But still have to do a good deal of full speed / full force work.
Question is should I bandage it up? to isolate the movement out of that shoulder?
Technically speaking I could just stop training, but well.... I refuse. If I gave up training just because I had this injury, then I mind aswell give up defending myself for it haha.

Any advice to prevent further injury while maintaining a training regime would be helpful (if nothing else this will improve my skills by allowing me to work at a disadvantage)
Peace, and Love to you all
William
Forum User

Postby joeblast » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Admirable that you are so committed to training, but if you dont ease up, it might cost you too much in the long run. How old are you? How did you get this injury? Do you do any exercises that specifically target your injury? Does the full force/contact work bother your shoulder during or after a session? How about the 1/4 power, for that matter?
You can hopefully alter training so that you still get training, but at the same time limit any aggravating movement as much as possible. For something like a rotator cuff, check out this exercise, it might help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR61leoSNE4 Try doing it as slow as you can...good luck!
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Return to Sparring and Fighting