What is Sand Show?

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

What is Sand Show?

Postby Toshiyomi » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:13 am

Well people...Ill apologize for now if i did write in the wrong place or if theres already a topic about this. Anyways...

I'm kind of wondering if San Shou is actually kung fu..like i know that in taichi or whatever they have san shou as a type of workout. But from what ive known Kungfu(wushu) is all about using the style, the form itself to fight. San Shou looks nothing different than kick boxing...which is an external type. It doesnt mean that its not kung fu because a lot of style are external thats actually kung fu, such as the Tiger Style.

This type of sparring is probably made 50years ago or even way further. But dont forget not all people can learn the piercing, yet soft powers of kung fu. I think maybe those masters or practioners dont know how to use the internal style, then prefer to go the external way. Which lead to san shou...I think san shou shouldnt even be considered kung fu. They have no talent in using jing so they use li. Its normal though i wouldve made the same choice...

How can san shou be kung fu? Is it really kung fu? Or is it not? Why should it be considered kung fu? How is it LIKE kung fu?
Toshiyomi
Just Arrived

San shou

Postby jfraser » Sat May 26, 2007 11:42 am

San Shou is part of the application training of a Kung Fu system, internal or external, teaching the applications, principles, and techniques of a particular system. In Tai Chi circles, it is not often taught, and may not be known by some teachers in the West or in China. It is traditionally a part of the training, in the more advances phases. It is not kick boxing or San Da.

There was in California a martial arts named San Shou. I don't know much about it.

James
jfraser
Forum Guru

Return to Sparring and Fighting