Realistic Fight Ending Strikes and Sparring Favorites

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Re: Realistic Fight Ending Strikes and Sparring Favorites

Postby pete5770 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:24 pm

I've alway thought that going at it with a heavy bag was a great way to learn to throw
what you call "fight ending strikes". All boxers use them because you don't have to hold back
while punching, as you would in sparring or practice. Really helps to develop your hitting power and practice proper form at the same time. And it's fun to take your frustrations out on
an opponent who doesn't care how hard or long you hit him. Because they swing freely they are
really great for learning the timing of punches. Give it a try, hang one in your basement, they aren't overly expensive and last forever.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby pete5770 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:31 pm

silverfox wrote:Hello everyone,

I was curious what some people's ideas of devasting techniques are. ....
Scott

Revisiting this I thought of a Mike Tyson fight I once watched. Mike was at the apex of his game and had backed some poor smuck up against the ropes and had moved in close, very close. In any case you just knew the end was near. Mike had his left foot forward and right foot back at a 45 degree angle and in a nice wide stance. It was a perfect Tai Chi stance. What followed was a really great Tai Chi punch. His right hand was near his waist, all his weight was on his right foot, his body was twisted to the right about 45 degrees. He then simply let the untwisting of the body and the forward weight shift bring the fist right into this poor dudes ribcage. Put the guy on his knees before he could ready another shot. Not sure if that was the fight ender as all I can really remember about it was the replay in slow-mo and how much it looked like aTai Chi punch. Who knows Tai Chi? Maybe Mikey does? In any case, Tai Chi or not it was "devastating".
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Amaranth » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:08 am

I have lately tended to favor controlling the lead arm from above the elbow in order to quickly slide around behind for a good smashing out of the danger-zone. Hits to the temple or kidneys etc. are easy enough from here, or if you are one-on-one and not worried about a sneak attack - employing a choke is easy enough. You can also do the classic wheelbarrow takedown. This works great against larger opponents. If you can't get above the elbow - deflecting an attacking arm from the outside often allows you a grasp-and-pull if you stick to their wrist and follow. Even just sliding around behind them if they have a lot of momentum without directing them is easy enough in many cases.
Amaranth
Forum Contributor

Previous

Return to Sparring and Fighting