Dog Brother Stickfighting (No Rules/Full Contact)

Discuss sparring, training applications in a competition environment, or even in real-life (fighting, self-defence). Please no violence!
And stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby DOM » Mon May 22, 2006 8:19 pm

I don't know,fun to watch but looks like mma with sticks.I only watched a few clips,but it did not look like many of them had any real skill.Just wildly swinging sticks kicks,punchs and ground fighting.Maybe I am wrong but I thought kali was about knife fighting.From the clips I watched it did not seem any of them knew anything about knife fighting.But it dose take some balls to fight like that,I'll give them that,true fighting spirit.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

no no

Postby chukklehed » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:42 pm

Kali isn't about knife fighting any more than it is about stick fighting or empty-hand fighting for that matter. It teaches than any weapon is an extension of the hands. The idea that Kali or Arnis of FMA in general is all about knife fighting is due to the fact that alot of unscrupulous teachers focus their FMA curriculum on knife disarms, self defense techniques, and the like to gain students that want to feel safe from a knife. True FMA is a comprehensive martial art based on all-around fighting that was practiced by battle-hardened warriors who had to use whatever they had in both mass-attack and one-on-one scenarios. If you don't believe the DOG BROTHERS have any real skill, then you don't realize what a real fight is. The way things look in drills and the way they look in a full-on fight are totally different. The reason they do that grappling is because Rigan Machado (a famous black belt BJJ teacher) was able to simply shoot in, avoiding a stick shot, drop them (Erick "Top Dog" Knauss specifically) and submit them at will. Then they realized they needed to focus on all ranges of fighting.
chukklehed
Just Arrived

Postby Eddard Stark » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:42 pm

[quote="DOM"]I don't know,fun to watch but looks like mma with sticks.I only watched a few clips,but it did not look like many of them had any real skill.Just wildly swinging sticks kicks,punchs and ground fighting.Maybe I am wrong but I thought kali was about knife fighting.From the clips I watched it did not seem any of them knew anything about knife fighting.But it dose take some balls to fight like that,I'll give them that,true fighting spirit.[/quote]

Yes, you are wrong. They are highly accomplished stick fighters. Many have travelled to the Philippines and trained extensively with masters of the various knife and empty hand arts there.
Eddard Stark
Forum User

Return to Sparring and Fighting